• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Cartographicum Thandeum

Not had much time to make local election maps, but I decided to update this old Birmingham map series I made back in 2015 with later results, including the recent ones.

A bit inconsistent in that I start using single dots for single seats only when it switched to all-ups, but I think it'd look odd without them.

(Thumbnail - click to enlarge)
Birmingham 1982-2022 working4.png

Since LITERALLY JANUARY 2020 I've had this project on ice about a multi-party USA. I even completed zillions of maps that are partly filled out to imply the results were gradually coming in, to do an election night TL about it.

However, I can't really make the election night stuff work and I don't want all the work to go to waste. But I also don't want to just state upfront what the gimmick is. So, would there be any interest in me posting them state-by-state with more of a disinterested commentary like the Laboratories of Democracy series?

Since LITERALLY JANUARY 2020 I've had this project on ice about a multi-party USA. I even completed zillions of maps that are partly filled out to imply the results were gradually coming in, to do an election night TL about it.

However, I can't really make the election night stuff work and I don't want all the work to go to waste. But I also don't want to just state upfront what the gimmick is. So, would there be any interest in me posting them state-by-state with more of a disinterested commentary like the Laboratories of Democracy series?

Yes.

However, I can't really make the election night stuff work

I feel far less angsty about my own lack of progress with The Great Nordic Election Night in knowing that even the author of Partyin' Like It's 1999 at times struggle with the format.

I feel far less angsty about my own lack of progress with The Great Nordic Election Night in knowing that even the author of Partyin' Like It's 1999 at times struggle with the format.
Well it's partly because I feel it's played out, and also because I would struggle to make it work in the USA. I was going to go with a joke where a cursed artefact leads the election night to become British-style and Dimbleby takes over Fox News in a coup and Peter Snow holds the NYT Needle hostage, but I just don't have enough local references to make it first.

Not had much time to make local election maps, but I decided to update this old Birmingham map series I made back in 2015 with later results, including the recent ones.

A bit inconsistent in that I start using single dots for single seats only when it switched to all-ups, but I think it'd look odd without them.

(Thumbnail - click to enlarge)
View attachment 53821
Just saw this, and it's really interesting how Brum's big Labour switch was really flipped after '97
like, before '01, in the grand Labour landslide, Labour won the city, but in 2001 like a third of the Tory vote was cut out. Was there any particular reason for that?
1658502644546.png
Even Sutton Coldfield, one of the Toryest Tory Seats in the country, is a shade lighter in '01!

Just saw this, and it's really interesting how Brum's big Labour switch was really flipped after '97
like, before '01, in the grand Labour landslide, Labour won the city, but in 2001 like a third of the Tory vote was cut out. Was there any particular reason for that?
View attachment 56901
Even Sutton Coldfield, one of the Toryest Tory Seats in the country, is a shade lighter in '01!
Just checking, you are clear that the year number refers to the map below not above? (I keep misreading it myself TBH hence why I no longer do it that way!)

Just checking, you are clear that the year number refers to the map below not above? (I keep misreading it myself TBH hence why I no longer do it that way!)
ah

i was going with proximity here. Disappointing, I thought something actually interesting occurred during the 2001 election.

Well it's partly because I feel it's played out, and also because I would struggle to make it work in the USA. I was going to go with a joke where a cursed artefact leads the election night to become British-style and Dimbleby takes over Fox News in a coup and Peter Snow holds the NYT Needle hostage, but I just don't have enough local references to make it first.

I suppose one kind of has to play a little with the concept to make it work nowadays, but even then, it's hard to make a whole series with it.

I did write a mini-vignette a couple of months ago about reporting on the war in Ukraine as if it was a presidential election, but I've also had this idea about a vignette where Britain is under a Communist dictatorship, with the election being a North Korean one-constituency-one-candidate, but everyone reporting on the election still reporting on it like if it's all totally legitimate.

I suppose one kind of has to play a little with the concept to make it work nowadays, but even then, it's hard to make a whole series with it.

I did write a mini-vignette a couple of months ago about reporting on the war in Ukraine as if it was a presidential election, but I've also had this idea about a vignette where Britain is under a Communist dictatorship, with the election being a North Korean one-constituency-one-candidate, but everyone reporting on the election still reporting on it like if it's all totally legitimate.
that last one sounds fucking hilarious, reminds me of the Soviet election in the 1987 Spitting Image Election Special

that last one sounds fucking hilarious, reminds me of the Soviet election in the 1987 Spitting Image Election Special

It would contain stuff like, them mention that in the last election, as many as 7% of voters voted blank (i.e. not for the approved Party candidate), and this was believed to be due to confusion with people thinking that if they just cast a blank ballot they had automatically voted for the Party candidate, so now they have introduced the Ballot Clarification Act to remedy this problem. It is mentioned that this reform has received criticism in the "bourgeois press in the capitalist west" as further undermining democracy, with the argument being that it directly abolishes the secret ballot, which of course is absurd. If you want to vote for the approved Party candidate, you go into booth A, draw close the curtains and cast your vote in secret, whereas if you want to cast a blank ballot, you go into booth B, draw close the curtains and cast your vote in secret. This way, the sanctity of the secret ballot is upheld perfectly, since no one has to cast their vote for all to see.

Also, stuff like "We asked former General Secretary McClenney to come to the studio to give his views, but unfortunately, he had to respectfully decline our offer, citing ill health" with references being given that McClenney was General Secretary of the Party until seven years ago, when, in a surprise announcement in the middle of his holidays he declared that he was resigning due to age and ill health, and that he hasn't visited the capital since, nor given any public appearances.

They go to cover "disgraced Comrade Caldwell's constituency," with them commenting on the poor result for the Party there (merely 92% of the vote) probably is because they have never truly recovered from the revelations the other year, "Yes, Comrade Caldwell who was Minister of Industry, Vice Premier, and seen as a strong contender for the leadership of the Party when General Secretary Griffiths resigns, we were all very shocked to learn that he had been a capitalist spy all along!"

To answer your question: yes. Yes, there would.

Please; I live for these kinds of things.

OK, the enthusiasm expressed here has actually made me want to do some election night stuff after all - I will just make it a bit more background and be relaxed about the schedule - maybe just one update a week or something. Looking back at the files I've not touched since August 2020, it would be a shame not to take advantage of them.

OK, the enthusiasm expressed here has actually made me want to do some election night stuff after all - I will just make it a bit more background and be relaxed about the schedule - maybe just one update a week or something. Looking back at the files I've not touched since August 2020, it would be a shame not to take advantage of them.

As long as Arizona isn't the 48th state covered, I will be happy.

I decided to update this timeline of partisan control of various elected governments which I first made way back in 2012.

I have learned two things:

1) Not to bother trying to update the key when some countries change parties faster than you can update it. (Looking at you, France; I've given up trying to represent Macron's governments except in the vaguest way)
2) I am glad I did not try to include Italy in this back in the day. Austria was tricky enough given recent events.

1668351474911.png

Back