• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Campaign Cartographer

Am now playing around with this, reading the manual, etc. I got the modern maps add on so hopefully I can do some cool stuff with it.

Oh I think I just noticed a layering issue with the roads on the northern plains

Anyway if I'm in tonight I'm going to try and do one from scratch using the manual.only for minor references if I get stuck, maybe try and replicate/improve one I did on another programme (below)

Targ.jpg

And then learn how to add text

Right after a but of faffing (teaching myself to use sheets) i've tried to remake the above in the more powerful programme, or a close approximation to as I decided to change a few bits even though the only relevant bit is a tiny path up into those mountains.

FQyIulQ.jpg

Somewhat unrelated, but is there any software that can do very general planet simulation? Just thinking in terms of, say, drawing continents, oceans, and mountain ranges and having it extrapolate climate and so on from there. I like the idea of Campaign Cartographer but it doesn't seem fun to do everything manually.

Somewhat unrelated, but is there any software that can do very general planet simulation? Just thinking in terms of, say, drawing continents, oceans, and mountain ranges and having it extrapolate climate and so on from there. I like the idea of Campaign Cartographer but it doesn't seem fun to do everything manually.

@AndyC mentioned something along those lines in one of his threads an ah.com for worldbuilding the solar system and planets in the Endeavour series.

That it existed.
The continents, iceans, and mountain ranges bit exists (I'll post the link when I'm back at the computer), but you have to work out the climates manually.

The continents, iceans, and mountain ranges bit exists (I'll post the link when I'm back at the computer), but you have to work out the climates manually.

That was the part I wanted to automate. Just a very rough guess at mean temperature and precipitation so you can guess potential evapotranspiration and thus likely climax vegetation.

Of course climate is more complicated than that, because you calculate pET from "mean biotemperature" and doing things like clearing a forest or killing off all the large browsers changes the biotemperature significantly. And then there's the difference between seasonal and steady precipitation.

Back