• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Best Alternate History Stories.

Christian

Since I’ve been made aware that I can be rather pessimistic and apparently read lots of bad alternate history, I’d try and name some of the best ones I can think of.

The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation: In this timeline, Ricky Steamboat becomes WWF champion, replacing Hogan at the first Wrestlemania and things keep changing from there. Admittedly too optimistic for me, somewhat niche (Though this place does seem to have an active wrestling fanbase) and hasn’t updated in three years, but the writer and writing is so endearing, plus, it's in-depth look shows the writer clearly knows
a lot about wrestling.

The Dead Skunk: In this, a British military officer finds a dead skunk, gets inspired, and changes the course of world history. A fun look at a small incident changing everything, with fun little cameos from famous figures ending up in widely different places. Can’t say I remember much about specific details, but I did remember being engrossed in it.

Pride Goes Before a Fall: A Revolutionary Greece Timeline: Greece performs better in their revolt against the Ottomans, succeeds in independence, becomes a republic, then a monarchy, and a whole lot of other things happen. A fun look into an alternate 19th century Europe, though there are a lot of OTL events that still happen, but in different contexts and different results, not too knowledgable about 19th century European politics.

Last edited:
Since I’ve been made aware that I can be rather pessimistic and apparently read lots of bad alternate history, I’d try and name some of the best ones I can think of.

The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation: In this timeline, Ricky Steamboat becomes WWF champion, replacing Hogan at the first Wrestlemania and things keep changing from there. Admittedly too optimistic for me, somewhat niche (Though this place does seem to have an active wrestling fanbase) and hasn’t updated in three years, but the writer and writing is so endearing, plus, it's in-depth look shows the writer clearly knows
a lot about wrestling.

The Dead Skunk: In this, a British military officer finds a dead skunk, gets inspired, and changes the course of world history. A fun look at a small incident changing everything, with fun little cameos from famous figures ending up in widely different places. Can’t say I remember much about specific details, but I did remember being engrossed in it.

Pride Goes Before a Fall: A Revolutionary Greece Timeline: Greece performs better in their revolt against the Ottomans, succeeds in independence, becomes a republic, then a monarchy, and a whole lot of other things happen. A fun look into an alternate 19th century Europe, though there are a lot of OTL events that still happen, but in different contexts and different results, not too knowledgable about 19th century European politics.
Of the 3 i like the Greece one.

There's Aztec Century, which shows the Aztecs invading Britain - no real attachment to OTL beyond the basics, but it does exist.

Chris

Thanks so much for this post (in a different thread). I read Aztec Century when it came out and really enjoyed it, but it's a while ago and I couldn't remember the author let alone the title.

The premise is fairly unique, the concept very unique. The mixture of adventure, tragedy and characters trying and failing to escape their "doom" / destined role was beautiful. My glasses maybe a bit rose tinted after 3 decades though...

My top AH will always be Bearfish. I just really love it.

In terms of other SLP stuff, Who Will Speaks for England and Darling Buds Express can share the silver.

Bear Cavalry is my favourite non SLP AH, though in terms of pro stuff I think 'The Eyre Affair' is a wonderful book, just more fantasy than AH.

And 'King Theodore's Corsica' and 'Malê Rising' are the best unpublished amateur AH, imo.

I think all benefit from original clever Points of diversion that create interesting worlds without being the same cliches you always see. Hippos in America! A con artist becomes King! A Haitian inspired slave republic emerges in Africa just before the Scramble! An oil embargo means everyone travels by steam train! Domesticated bears used for war!

Just one sentence and you have a concept.

And then they all (with the possible exception of MR) remain focused on that concept and know exactly the story they are telling. And none of them forget that you need characters to care about. That people and their struggles are what is interesting about any scenario.

I would be very happy if anything I have written is as good as those six pieces.

Back