• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Attlee Gets His Majority: 1950 General Election change

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
What would the ramifications be of Attlee getting a decent majority in 1950, let's say with a majority of 20-30. This allows for another 5 years of Labour.

For starters I could see Bevan's walkout from the cabinet being less dramatic since there are people to replace him. Also there would be the question of who replaces Cripps and Bevin since both died not long after in 51 and 52 so how that would effect the cabinet would be interesting.

Also I could see Churchill being replaced after awhile probably around 52/53 due to his illnesses and poor health. Eden would probably replace him.

It probably wouldn't effect America much. Maybe Korea is handled slightly better I'm not sure.

Also maybe we see closer relations between Yugosalvia and Britian, during 1950/51 there were a number of meetings between representatives of the two nations and as I mentioned elsewhere the Labour Left was a fan of the nation.

Also I could Decolonisation occuring in a less explosive fashion, also if Atlee is around in 55 I doubt there would be a Suez Canal Crisis in 56.

Walso if Atlee is around in 55 I doubt there would be a Suez Canal Crisis in 56.

I don't know if most of the causes behind the crisis - except for Eden's personal loathing for Nasser - are going to be prevented by Attlee sticking around for longer. I assume even if the details differ, we get a crisis, though the big difference now would be if the Tories are in power in 1956, they're getting a lot more of the blame. "[photo of a line of British troops departing] TORIES AREN'T WORKING - VOTE LABOUR"

I don't know if most of the causes behind the crisis - except for Eden's personal loathing for Nasser - are going to be prevented by Attlee sticking around for longer. I assume even if the details differ, we get a crisis, though the big difference now would be if the Tories are in power in 1956, they're getting a lot more of the blame. "[photo of a line of British troops departing] TORIES AREN'T WORKING - VOTE LABOUR"

I think it would depend on who exactly would be in power as to how big of a crisis it became. The fact that it got as far as it did was partly Eden's intransigence to thinking he could do without the USA and the UN. If Macmillan or another Tory had been Eden's place they probably would have backed down earlier, or at the first sight of the US fleet shadowing the invasion force. A Labour government certainly wouldn't have gone so far. More likely we'd remember it as the "Suez Affair", or "Suez Incident". Yes, it would have been a loss of face but not as much of a shock or humiliation as OTL because Eden isn't there to raise the stakes so high.

Given how in 55 Britian was doing okay economically I'm seeing a small conservative majority. So if the Suez Canal were to go down under a Conservative government it wouldn't surprise me if it leads to a General Election soon after and the Conservatives losing (Labour bought you bread and prosperity, the Conservatives bring you war-Vote Labour).
--//--
Also I could see any Bevan coup lasting a year as he rails enough on the backbenchs enough to cause Attlee and Gaitskell to give him the nice juicy opportunity of Foreign Secretary which I bet he would jump to. So that could be interesting (closer ties with Isreal and Yugosalvia?).

Actually much of the Left turmoil may actually be mitigated by Labour being in Government much like the period of 45-50. Although I could possibly see a revival of the Keep Left Movement in 53/54.

Also I could see any Bevan coup lasting a year as he rails enough on the backbenchs enough to cause Attlee and Gaitskell to give him the nice juicy opportunity of Foreign Secretary which I bet he would jump to. So that could be interesting (closer ties with Isreal and Yugosalvia?).

Actually much of the Left turmoil may actually be mitigated by Labour being in Government much like the period of 45-50. Although I could possibly see a revival of the Keep Left Movement in 53/54.

Nye reconciling himself to the H-bomb earlier and harder for in-office pragmatic reasons, this is a negative for the maximalist Left in the long run, surely.

Nye reconciling himself to the H-bomb earlier and harder for in-office pragmatic reasons, this is a negative for the maximalist Left in the long run, surely.
It would deflate the cult of personality that kind of formed around him the 50s, meaning that once Labour is out of power the Left don't implode when Bevan supports the bomb.

It also allows folks like Foot and Castle to make a bigger impact earlier, so in the long run it strengthens the Left as they aren't spending there years in the wilderness.

A trivial point, but the EM-2 automatic rifle and Taden in .280 continue in service into the Koran War and gets a full battlefield assessment. The larger ammunition count carried being a major factor against wave attack tactics. Range and suppression look less important as artillery cover this role better. Difficult questions are asked of the US army as to why the .280 round wasn't adopted.

Given how in 55 Britian was doing okay economically I'm seeing a small conservative majority. So if the Suez Canal were to go down under a Conservative government it wouldn't surprise me if it leads to a General Election soon after and the Conservatives losing (Labour bought you bread and prosperity, the Conservatives bring you war-Vote Labour).

On the other hand given the reaction we saw OTL to a perceived lack of US support I wonder if the Conservatives might be helped by a rally round the flag approach. Turnout would be way, way down with a general feeling of malaise. I could see Labour eeking out a smaller majority than we might think.

Being in government always helps with that.

On the other hand given the reaction we saw OTL to a perceived lack of US support I wonder if the Conservatives might be helped by a rally round the flag approach. Turnout would be way, way down with a general feeling of malaise. I could see Labour eeking out a smaller majority than we might think.
Ooh, quick idea. Could be interesting if Labour gets there 50’ result in 55 leading to an old and tired Attlee awkwardly wondering if he should get involved with the Suez as parts of the Conservatives scream for blood. Labour doing Suez style situation would be interesting and weird I have to say.
Being in government always helps with that.
Indeed, though it does depend. Though Labour is surprisingly adept at following the line in Parliament when it’s in Government. However an interesting thing could be the youth reaction, the 50s were a time of cracks forming between the Younger more radical sections and the older sections. If the more prominent radical (Bevanites) members of the party shut there mouths and follow the line, then I could see that vacuum being taken up by the incredibly more Radical Younger members (Trots).

All I can say is Attlee probably goes during his second term - AIUI he was pretty checked-out by 1950, and only stayed around until 1955 to make sure the transition could be managed (i.e. prevent Bevan or his allies from taking over). As you say, having a safe majority in 1950 probably means the leadership transition goes more safely, and assuming Gaitskell gets to prove himself as Chancellor for a year or two first, it wouldn't be at all hard to get him into #10 by 1953 or so.

The genuine question is of course if Labour can win the next election, and well, that probably depends on how the economy is doing by 1954-5.

Decolonisation will probably be very interesting indeed ITTL.

Back