• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Archie joins the Crusades (part 2)

Archie Comics's Watchmen is possibly the strangest mental image conjured up by this series. And you've discussed Archangel Thunderbird, so that's saying something.

Agreed, but it fits completely with Moore's preferences.

I must admit by the time you get to the end of this you start wondering why Archie kept the licences- they seem to have just been continuously burnt on them and been ever less willing to actually use them.

I am surprised DC didn't just outright buy the properties and keep them forever in 2009 - maybe they didn't want to be stuck with the Shield if it turned out nobody cares about the Shield even if the Babylon 5 guy has touched him.

Speaking of DC, I was going to write about What If Impact Comics Got Gold Key Instead but then I found, completely by accident, Shooter had got a gentlemen's agreement with the parent company to hold the license until he'd got the capital. (I'd been looking up stuff about Valiant's Nintendo and WWE comics, a thing Shooter and Bob, Layton have repeatedly said "WHAT A DUMB IDEA WE WERE BOUNCED INTO", "those fans don't READ" in Layton's words, but which by all accounts Nintendo fans say "these comics are horseshit and you want $3.95 for it?!")

@Charles EP M. would you mind me announcing this one tomorrow so it's not overshadowed by our latest book release?

No prob

Archie Comics's Watchmen is possibly the strangest mental image conjured up by this series.

I know, right?!

So when I ended the column:

Maybe another stab at the Mighty Crusaders in a few years will work, at least for long enough.

If it doesn’t, what we’re left with is a microcosm of the US comic market and its shifting trends and tastes – from high camp to gritty urban violence to young-adult cartooning – and the next revamp of the Crusaders may tell us what the comic trends of 2020 are…

I didn't realise the next revamp would happen this soon, and the revamp is "Rob Liefeld is doing it". Just as he almost did!

Except Archie Comics aren't mentioning that and claiming how Liefeld is a mega-fan of the Crusaders, when I have the book about the history of them and Jim Valentino says "Rob, as I remember, wasn't all that interested" & took the gig to help Valentino get in.

So when I ended the column:

I didn't realise the next revamp would happen this soon, and the revamp is "Rob Liefeld is doing it". Just as he almost did!

Except Archie Comics aren't mentioning that and claiming how Liefeld is a mega-fan of the Crusaders, when I have the book about the history of them and Jim Valentino says "Rob, as I remember, wasn't all that interested" & took the gig to help Valentino get in.

I'll say this - the art there isn't nearly as bad as 90s Liefeld. It's not great, but it's a lot better.

Back