• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

April's Maps and Stuff

just noticed the first two paragraphs of development are in the plot section
1620190510381.png
Anyway the next entry in this timeline will be Half Life 2 (I figure the first's development wouldn't be effected too much in setting or mechanics, just delayed to 1999 or so because of the later release of Quake and more modifications needed to the engine to add, you know, guns and stuff (but goldsource was already 70% its own engine so it wouldn't take Valve too long to do that)), but it probably won't be the next post I make here, since I've got a Qbam in progress that should be done soonish, assuming I don't get distracted with another project.

A Rendezvous With Death
Writing lore docs exhausts me and I want to get this out already. Tl;dr, Lovecraftian monsters are accidently summoned by the Battle of Verdun (bare with me), effectively ending the war in the west-along with the existence of France, oops-2 years early, the world order collapsing accordingly. I do actually have lore for more specific conflicts/border changes, I.g Indochina, I'm just too lazy to actually write it all down in a nice format, so please ask about anything you want to know about; despite the silly PoD, the rest of the lore is at least thematically appropriate, if not actually realistic.

1624051050436.png

This originally started as a direct subversion of post-apocalypse/American collapse scenarios and eventually evolved into its own thing of that plus some in-jokes between my friends, and whatever else I could think of; it turns out, there aren’t many tropes to subvert for some regions, since no one ever thinks about Wyoming when making a post-apocalypse. I’ll be releasing more of these small segments… eventually, as established I’m a slow and reluctant writer, but I have the whole map more or less done.

Empire of New England

New England was in a precarious position during the collapse; refugees flooded the countryside from the cities, putting immense strain on the small towns and rural farms, some organized into survivor groups, some turned to banditry to get basic needs, and others a simple flood of those trying to flee the chaos. Eventually, the more agreeable groups formed an unstable agreement with the locals; refugees would be given lodging in exchange for working the fields, while the locals would hunt for meat and teach the locals how to survive. While not a universal system, with some towns overrun by the bandit groups, or simply integrating with each other, it was the most common method in the region. The newly birthed upper class took a management role, organizing trade with other towns, and forming the foundations of a greater state. Creating New England was a long task, however, and the initially peaceful plans for the nation were changed along with the ruling nobility. Any thoughts of democracy were cast aside, as the aristocracy entrenched itself, replaced with promises of a large and dominant New England. Cities were reclaimed and resettled, the industry within them becoming a focus of the war-hungry state. Armies fielded and marched for New York, Delaware, the Maritimes, and eventually, the Mid-Atlantic and further into Canada.

Amish Confederacy

The Amish were one of the most prepared to form a nation, of the pre-collapse peoples; almost comparable to the Navajo far to the west. But while the Navajo rose to regional domination, the Amish struggled much more against the already established nations of the mid-Atlantic. Banding together for mutual protection during the collapse, they treated any refugees or neighboring survivor groups harshly, regularly raiding for supplies or getting into skirmishes over hunting grounds. Through such aggressive tactics, and widespread collaboration between the various Amish communities of the region, all of Central Pennsylvania was united under the Pennsylvania Dutch. Even after the long wars, however, the nation was far from peaceful. Abroad, the Empire of New England began testing the frontiers of the Amish Confederacy, leading many campaigns into their territory. And at home, the conquered “English”, while officially equal under the law, were-and still are-treated as second class citizens, disenfranchised from employment opportunities and government positions, and lynching mobs occasionally kill some non-Amish in the nation. Politically, the Confederacy is quite loose, ruled by a large council of prominent Amish family heads.

Canadian United Front

Eastern Canada was, before contact with the Empire of New England, a plethora of small and skirmishing states. Lower Quebec was fiercely anti-English, and waged many wars against Ontario and its other Francophone neighbors for land. Jameise and Abitibi, with low populations and decentralized government systems, could do little against the Quebecois incursions directly, and found themselves waging guerilla wars quite often against the attackers. Ontario was the only regional power that could field armies of comparable or greater size than the French, and did so regularly, both to defend against the prodding attacks of Quebec and to wage its own campaigns. And in the far north, the East Cree communities of the Eeyou Istchee formed a small, but stable, state along the coast of the Hudson Bay. This ebbing and flowing of regional power was halted by a Yankee expedition into the region. The timing of the invasion was perfect; Quebec had just began another war with Ontario, and had few soldiers south of the river. Within months, the major cities of the south were occupied, and it seemed the entirety of eastern Canada would fall to the empire. As opposed as the disparate Canadian countries were, they could see the writing on the wall. The various councils and presidents of the region declared the creation of the Canadian United Front, an amalgamation of a military alliance and economic federation. The Front faced serious logistical issues early on, as the 5 different armed forces struggled to combine under one command. But eventually, it was finished, along with streamlining the supply. The following war was hard-fought, but ended with the the Front finally pushing back across the St. Lawrence.Though the war is long gone, the Front has manged to remain, though often threatened by calls to break it up. The economic recovery is still ongoing, and the looming threat of a second Yankee invasion has kept from serious de-confederatilization.

Cult of the Great King George III and Virginia

The federal government had just barely held control of Washington D.C during the collapse, though many of its citizens were expelled beyond the city as it was secured by the last remains of the army. Those unwilling or unable to brave the chaotic wastes beyond the city kept to the edge of federal control, effectively slums. It was here that the Cult of George III was first created, calling for a return to colonial control. Initially a joke to symbolize the discontent with the emergency government powers, à la the Satanic temple, as the emergency government became more authoritarian and supplies became more stretched, it turned into a real movement, and then a feverish religion. The spread was not contained to mere citizens, either, as lower ranking troops and officers were also converted to the faith. Eventually, enough supported the church for an ambitious priest to lead a march into the gated city itself. What followed was a ruthless purge of anyone in the city who did not subscribe to the sect’s practices, along with destroying the monuments and founding documents stored in the city. The few remains of the federal government that escaped the eradication fled to the state of Virginia, where they eventually expanded and reformed into a nominally free democracy, based on the old world values it once held the heart of. Somewhat strong militarily, they are still weak compared to their Carolinian neighbors, having lost southern Virginia to their influence long ago.

1626739887610.png

Last edited:
hey guys what have i missed

so uh, long story short my laptop broke and i lost some files, including the US collapse one
so that's awesome
anyway I'll probably start posting again

Back