• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of the Roman Empire: The Triumph of Julian

For those interested in the backstory to my reimagining of the later Roman period and what happened afterwards, my first book on this - the analysis of events and basic speculations on them - in 'If Rome Had Survived' (Pen and Sword, 2011) , is being reissued in its second edition this week. Paperback, £12.99. This will then serve as the background 'scene-setter' for my ongoing narrative of 'Rome Survives' history as Sealion brings the latter out.

I've now got as far as Rome and the Vikings (driven out of Norway by Roman naval vessels armed with OTL Byzantine 'Greek Fire' and taking refuge in Canada and Massachusetts in the later C9th) fighting over North America in the 1660s and 1670s - a sort of Romanised version of the real-life 1760s Anglo-French war, featuring the siege of Ticonderoga and the real life background to the storyline of Fenimore Cooper's 'Last of the Mohicans'. Thought up by me after a comic strip serialization of the latter in a children's magazine in the late 1960s, so this has had a long time to be perfected ... And in this version of Roman history, we have an alternate version of the anti-Catholic 'Glorious Revolution' of 1688 in the UK occurring in Rome as liberal senators and army officers turn on an autocratic Emperor and his Vatican allies.

Back