• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

I love the notion that the Democratic Reagan, the new Roosevelt or Johnson, the man who'll break polarization and carve great swathes of blue across the map, is Richard fuckin' Cordray.
Look, the OC also has Illinois nearly going insolvent, a China on the brink of default that wrecks the global economy, a Cruz challenge to Pence in the '24 primaries, and Trump resigning just a year into his term. It's very mid-2017 punk is all I'll say. I do agree with what you're saying though - Cordray doesn't seem like the type to be a realigner.

Look, the OC also has Illinois nearly going insolvent, a China on the brink of default that wrecks the global economy, a Cruz challenge to Pence in the '24 primaries, and Trump resigning just a year into his term. It's very mid-2017 punk is all I'll say. I do agree with what you're saying though - Cordray doesn't seem like the type to be a realigner.
If anything, the great realigner should be, ironically, Sherrod Brown.

Random idea I had a while ago that started with just the idea of Hepburn/Bankhead as an interesting actresses-from-political-families ticket and went from there. I had been waffling between Congress or state office for how to start Hepburn's career, which is why it ended up with her being elected governor at 24. I've decided to justify that with at some point during the progressive reforms the age limit for state office in New York got lowered to if you're old enough to vote you're old enough to hold office.

GHpHEuy.png

The People In Your Neighbourhood

In 1988, James Carville sits absent-mindedly on his living room floor with his young son, watching Sesame Street. As Bob McGrath sings a song about meeting people on your street, a tall bespectacled man entered into frame and was introduced as Ralph Nader, who Bob informs the kids is a 'consumer advocate'. He is somewhat wooden, and clearly reading off a teleprompter, but there's something about this guy. Carville had heard of him before, once or twice in offhanded comments in his past political campaigns, but never actually seen him on TV, much less insist on adding a 'whom' to the lyrics. Fuck it, he thinks, maybe this guy could offer me a challenge. I'll ring him up, see if he's wanting to run for something...

nader88.png

1992demprimaries.png 1992prez.png
1996repub.png
1996democ.png 1996prez.png

The People In Your Neighbourhood

In 1988, James Carville sits absent-mindedly on his living room floor with his young son, watching Sesame Street. As Bob McGrath sings a song about meeting people on your street, a tall bespectacled man entered into frame and was introduced as Ralph Nader, who Bob informs the kids is a 'consumer advocate'. He is somewhat wooden, and clearly reading off a teleprompter, but there's something about this guy. Carville had heard of him before, once or twice in offhanded comments in his past political campaigns, but never actually seen him on TV, much less insist on adding a 'whom' to the lyrics. Fuck it, he thinks, maybe this guy could offer me a challenge. I'll ring him up, see if he's wanting to run for something...

imagining james carville desperately trying to make ralph nader racist and ralph nader trying to make amends with carville defending one of the my lai guys

LshgW2c.png

The 1987 United Kingdom general election took place on Thursday 7 May 1987 to elect 650 members of the British House of Commons.
It gave the Conservative Coalition under the leadership of Geoffrey Rippon the most decisive election victory since that of the Labour Party in 1945, with a majority of 100 seats.

The Conservatives ran a campaign focusing on lower taxes, a crackdown on violent crime and the economy. Campaigning on the slogan "Let's Get On With It", the Tories strongly defended the drastic economic reforms, privatisations and deregulations of Rippon's first term widely referred to as the "Rippon Revolution". They also emphasised that unemployment had just fallen below the 1 million mark for the first time since 1982 and crime was at it's lowest levels since 1980s.

The Labour Party campaigned on issues of violent crime, inequality and the state of public services but were beset by public infighting. Former Home Secretary Shirley Williams, the first female Labour leader and Leader of the Opposition, was a controversial figure in her party and regularly criticised by left-wing colleagues on the Labour benches for her pro-EEC stance and unenthusiastic opposition to many of Rippon's reforms. She was badly damaged by 1986 leadership challenge by Ken Livingstone, which the Conservatives publicised as evidence of her lack of authority.

The Unionist Party under Enoch Powell campaigned on opposition to the Rippon government's pro-EEC stance, and won a toehold in Great Britain by winning Barking off of the Labour Party. The Scottish National Party under Willie McRae campaigned on opposition to the government's renewal of the nuclear deterrent and highlighted corruption scandals in Labour-dominated Scottish Assembly.

To date, the Conservatives have not matched or surpassed their 1987 seat total or voteshare in any subsequent general election.

Who Governs Britain?
1978 UK General Election

Back