• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Terminology: Flying High – Air Force Roundels

I'm surprised the profound effect on Finnish air force roundels from switching sides doesn't get a mensh!

View attachment 11910

"Quick - white and blue concentric circles at the double - and paint everything olive drab!"
I did consider using that example, I just wanted to use the fascist->commie cases in Eastern Europe and didn't want to repeat myself too much.

I did consider using that example, I just wanted to use the fascist->commie cases in Eastern Europe and didn't want to repeat myself too much.

Yeah, the reversion to imperial colours of the Warsaw Pact countries was something I hadn't realised until I read your article today.

I've always loved fictitious air force roundels btw, but many of them are too ornate for WW1 and WW2 - great for MS-Paint, not so good for an NCO with three/four/five pots of paint and stencil(s)

eg fictitious Irish air force roundel

1562674080503.png

JUST NO.

It's a fighter-bomber not the sodding Book of Kells!

Yeah, the reversion to imperial colours of the Warsaw Pact countries was something I hadn't realised until I read your article today.

I've always loved fictitious air force roundels btw, but many of them are too ornate for WW1 and WW2 - great for MS-Paint, not so good for an NCO with three/four/five pots of paint and stencil(s)

eg fictitious Irish air force roundel

View attachment 11913

JUST NO.

It's a fighter-bomber not the sodding Book of Kells!
It's the sort of thing that could conceivably be thought up in peacetime (or nowadays when roundels are rarely needed for visual identification during battle) but yeah, clearly would not survive an Actual War.

I love roundels. Absolutely love them and love alternate proposals for them. Great article!

It's the sort of thing that could conceivably be thought up in peacetime (or nowadays when roundels are rarely needed for visual identification during battle) but yeah, clearly would not survive an Actual War.

I'd say it's at least a little more plausible in a missile-age war when it's going to be shorter and you're relying on smaller numbers of pre-war stocks there, rather than the World War paradigm of the war being long and factory replacements that need to be hastily painted are constantly coming.

I love roundels. Absolutely love them and love alternate proposals for them. Great article!

I'd say it's at least a little more plausible in a missile-age war when it's going to be shorter and you're relying on smaller numbers of pre-war stocks there, rather than the World War paradigm of the war being long and factory replacements that need to be hastily painted are constantly coming.
Yeah, by 'Actual War' I more meant as in the World Wars, it's true.

Fascinating stuff and really easy to go down the rabbit hole of "what could it have looked like"

An interesting case of a design influenced by both the Soviet and American designs is that of China’s People’s Liberation Army Air Force, a Communist star flanked by American-style bars!

Imagine some poor Slider turning up and seeing this and going "whoa, America and the Commies must've teamed up in this timeline!"

Incidentally the actual Irish Air Corps in the Second World War had this:

240px-Roundel_of_Ireland_%281939-1954%29.svg.png

Back