• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History in Star Trek part 12: TNG Spinoffs of the Later Run

Well done for getting the cover of "War and Madness" I alluded to Gary. It does really sum up how Star Trek authors were starting to branch out a bit at that point and throw things together from different series.

While researching this, I was fascinated to learn of this comic special:

irst of all, from the first annual way back in 1990, we have a strikingly-familiar looking storyline attributed to Q actor John de Lancie, although Friedman is credited with supplementary dialogue. Q transports Picard to an alternate timeline with a fascist Federation analogue, and Picard’s family backstory is explored, including a tragic death of a close family member which he is forced to confront. Yes, I think it’s fair to say season 2 of Star Trek: Picard may have taken a wee bit of inspiration, especially given John de Lancie was directly involved with it. All the more remarkable that this was written before “Family” and thirty years before its reprise in “Picard”!
I guess that explains why they forgot Picard has a brother (other than one line) and so on, if it was based on a story that was written before "Family" even existed! In this one though Picard's tragic backstory relative death was a (different) brother rather than the relative it is in "Picard".

It was also funny to suddenly hit a cluster of novels I know, just because their publication dates meant my school library had them (they must have got them in bulk at some point in the mid-90s).

Last edited:
Very nice overview, as always. I re-read Vendetta a couple years ago, and thought it held up pretty well.

I'm really looking forward to what you think of Dark Mirror, possibly my favorite ST novel.

Please cover the hilariously awful IDW TNG Mirror Universe stories with the hilariously jacked up Jean-Luc Pirate.

He’ll have a vanilla protein shake, hot.

Back