• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Also, random question that occurred to me yesterday: how much name recognition does Tarrantry have with AH fans nowadays?

I was always only barely aware of it myself, but I remember it being practically front and centre on the old AH.com frontpage back in 2005.

This will be relevant to @Guernsey Donkey (I'll explain why if he's not aware of the name).

Also, random question that occurred to me yesterday: how much name recognition does Tarrantry have with AH fans nowadays?

I was always only barely aware of it myself, but I remember it being practically front and centre on the old AH.com frontpage back in 2005.

This will be relevant to @Guernsey Donkey (I'll explain why if he's not aware of the name).
Been a while since I've seen that word, but do recall some of the WW2-era stories.

I don't recognize the name at all.

I always hated that stupid island.

Yeah I can’t recall that either. (I like have the vaguest of thoughts.)

Not ringing a bell.
I don't recognize the name at all.
Yeah I can’t recall that either. (I like have the vaguest of thoughts.)
Alright, well (and this is from the perspective of someone who only saw it in passing), Tarrantry started out as the battleship rivet counters wanting to come up with new WW2 battles or fleets or something. Somehow this snowballed into inventing an entire new country, a third British Isle named Tarrantry (Terrentrie in French I think) south of Ireland, which was an offshore part of Normandy until the Napoleonic Wars and then became part of the UK. Its culture was basically 'if the Channel Islands were one island that's bigger than Ireland'.

I never actually saw or read any of the fiction based on it, but it used to be front and centre on the old AH.com frontpage, along with Draka fanfiction, so I tend to think of it as high profile by 2000s internet AH standards. There was a glorious futility to the whole thing (as Japhy alludes to), the only other thing that comes close is John Ringo's Posleen books' big set of arbitrary alien tech rules that mean you get to have battleships in the present day. I always thought the whole concept of a super-Channel Islands third British Isle was more interesting than any of the naval stuff, but obviously it didn't really explore that because it was one of those 'OTL unless otherwise noted' handwavy things.

edit:

1641919726468.png

(From the days before anyone had good base maps or knew how to save things as PNGs).

Last edited:
So did the Germans invade Tarrantry like they did the Channel Islands?
I recall they got bombed, but don't think they got more than an invasion scare.

Probably helped that they had their own real big navy, though some of that was over guarding colonial possession in the Pacific.

Did seem to be one of those cases where the fictional power got jammed into all sorts of historical campaigns and battles, yet the Axis had no new stuff or players of their own.

Alright, well (and this is from the perspective of someone who only saw it in passing), Tarrantry started out as the battleship rivet counters wanting to come up with new WW2 battles or fleets or something. Somehow this snowballed into inventing an entire new country, a third British Isle named Tarrantry (Terrentrie in French I think) south of Ireland, which was an offshore part of Normandy until the Napoleonic Wars and then became part of the UK. Its culture was basically 'if the Channel Islands were one island that's bigger than Ireland'.

I never actually saw or read any of the fiction based on it, but it used to be front and centre on the old AH.com frontpage, along with Draka fanfiction, so I tend to think of it as high profile by 2000s internet AH standards. There was a glorious futility to the whole thing (as Japhy alludes to), the only other thing that comes close is John Ringo's Posleen books' big set of arbitrary alien tech rules that mean you get to have battleships in the present day. I always thought the whole concept of a super-Channel Islands third British Isle was more interesting than any of the naval stuff, but obviously it didn't really explore that because it was one of those 'OTL unless otherwise noted' handwavy things.

edit:

View attachment 48540

(From the days before anyone had good base maps or knew how to save things as PNGs).
How....

How was it Norman?

Do they know where Normandy is in france.

The whole Island existed just to make terrible Aircraft Carrier-Battle Cruiser hybrids that for some reason worked for them when they didn't work for anyone else in world history.

Sounds very Kirov-esque, although that series just tended to carve new states out of the old Russian Empire.

Back