• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Years ago, there was a Star Trek timeline starting from 'Yesterday's Enterprise,' when the Enterprise-D was accidentally sent back in time with the Enterprise-C. Does anyone have a link?

Chris

leaving Wesley as the only real poorly-conceived character. Maybe not fair on Wheaton, but he never really matured as an actor until it was too late to save the character

I'd argue DS9 shows Wesley doesn't have to be terrible because that has two kids who run around having hijinks, both children of a lead, and one ends up a Starfleet cadet.

I'd argue DS9 shows Wesley doesn't have to be terrible because that has two kids who run around having hijinks, both children of a lead, and one ends up a Starfleet cadet.
DS9 is set in a civilian setting and a lot of the cast isn't Starfleet. (This, incidentally, is the element the later attempts to redo DS9 have failed to have.)

What if the Buffalo Bills won four straight Super Bowls?

The best of all possible worlds, of course!

Let's see...

Their first trip to the big game, Super Bowl XXV, is low hanging fruit. Scott Norwood nails the field goal and the Bills win 22-20. Jubilation in WNY not seen in nearly 30 years since the Bills last won a football championship.

Then butterflies sweep across the field and things get harder to predict. That was the only one of the four Bills Super Bowls that was particularly close. Can their win help them overcome Washington and Dallas (perhaps?) in years to come? Let's say they come back for Super Bowl XXVI, win a tough game, and then the team slowly fades from those heights. I'm curious what the modest knock-off effects on non-football history might be. Does Jim Kelly decide to imitate Jack Kemp and run for Congress? If he does, he's likely to win and remain a fixture for a good while.

Let's say they come back for Super Bowl XXVI, win a tough game, and then the team slowly fades from those heights.

The big approaching elephant is the 1993 agreement/legal decisions that established the modern NFL. By combining a hard salary cap with unrestricted free agency, it made (and makes, barring the Alexander/Temujin fluke of the Patriots) making a long-term successful team almost impossible.

Every month or more often on the Other Place there's a thread on how a white settler majority country could arise in Africa, how apartheid could survive and be nicer etc. It's very odd.

I tend to reply with some history and stats as why this would be inherently unstable, unsustainable, but back of my mind is a voice saying "why do people keep postulating this"
Am I wrong, or does this seem to mostly be either from newbies, or a small group of people with slightly rehashed ideas each time?

Back