• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

What if I wrote a new time travel fanfic called “The Man Who Came Too Late” where my 21st century attitudes piss off Captain Picard so much he orders Worf to kill me after I ruin the string quartet recital for asking too many pro-Colonel Green questions?

I did read something like this once, where a guy fell down a glacier in Alaska or someplace, and was frozen for decades before being thawed out in the future, but it turned out they were only unfreezing him so they could question him about his minor political associations with people who had gone on to become terrorists, for which he was then sentenced to death.

I did read something like this once, where a guy fell down a glacier in Alaska or someplace, and was frozen for decades before being thawed out in the future, but it turned out they were only unfreezing him so they could question him about his minor political associations with people who had gone on to become terrorists, for which he was then sentenced to death.

Saw this a while back ...

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2404.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2404.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 51
What if I wrote a new time travel fanfic called “The Man Who Came Too Late” where my 21st century attitudes piss off Captain Picard so much he orders Worf to kill me after I ruin the string quartet recital for asking too many pro-Colonel Green questions?
You'd end in a terrible Season 2 episode people only watch because it has the first implied appearance of the borg.

I still think most of the 'problem' with Pulaski was that she was a strong female character in 1988.
Don't forget she was mean to Data, who was the one of the most loved characters on the show.

Chris
I always assumed that was just "quick, we need a new doctor character. People liked McCoy, right? Just copy paste him being crusty and prejudiced against Spock to new doctor being crusty and prejudiced against Data" and it coming across as a bit inauthentic.

I always assumed that was just "quick, we need a new doctor character. People liked McCoy, right? Just copy paste him being crusty and prejudiced against Spock to new doctor being crusty and prejudiced against Data" and it coming across as a bit inauthentic.

One critic argued the problem is that when McCoy's a git to Spock, Spock will be a git right back and vice versa, there's a clear double-act and sparring going on, but this isn't true of Data so Pulaski just comes off like a shit. (You cut out the scenes with Data, she's a much more interesting character than Beverly, probably because "what if McCoy BUT WOMAN" is one more personality facet than they ever gave Bev)

One critic argued the problem is that when McCoy's a git to Spock, Spock will be a git right back and vice versa, there's a clear double-act and sparring going on, but this isn't true of Data so Pulaski just comes off like a shit. (You cut out the scenes with Data, she's a much more interesting character than Beverly, probably because "what if McCoy BUT WOMAN" is one more personality facet than they ever gave Bev)

I had pretty much the same impression - Data, in the first seasons, comes across as more than a little childlike, something that cannot be said of the very mature Spock. McCoy spars with Spock, but it's clear there's a lot of respect underneath; Pulaski looks like an adult picking on an autistic child, which makes her a person in need of a kicking, not respect or liking or anything.

/adds “Pulaski but better written” to the Romulan TL notes.

I get the idea they were kind of groping towards with Pulaski, but they really needed to find someone else for her to tangle with. Riker maybe? Brash and ambitious officer vs crusty old doctor is a lot healthier dynamic than what the shoe gave us. (Giving Dr. Selar a recurring role would have been too on the nose, I think.)

I appreciate McCoy as a character but I'm happy to say I'm not someone who would consider McCoy's outright racism fine or Banter m8 because it's directed at a more worldly-wise and authoratitive character than Data. Pulaski saw her prejudice towards Data also pretty quickly undergoing revision even within the short period she was actually in the series.

/adds “Pulaski but better written” to the Romulan TL notes.

I get the idea they were kind of groping towards with Pulaski, but they really needed to find someone else for her to tangle with. Riker maybe? Brash and ambitious officer vs crusty old doctor is a lot healthier dynamic than what the shoe gave us. (Giving Dr. Selar a recurring role would have been too on the nose, I think.)

She frequently tangles with Picard as she's actually written, and you literally don't get higher than that. (I think Thande is right on this also being a McCoy-Kirk replication)

Last edited:
Similarly in a weird way, I think the Iraq War was inevitable, especially after 9/11.

Back