• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

French Revolution and Napoleonic PODs pretty popular pre-WW2.
Kennedy lives seems a reasonably common idea, but I can't think of any works about it.

I keep thinking a fantastic way to do Kennedy Lives would be some unholy cross between The West Wing and The Crown (I'm not saying it's called Camelot but, er, it is) where critics get more and more nitpicky about the liberties with the historical record until suddenly it’s the S3 finale and what if the pavement just did that

How can we discuss the Alternate ____ series and not tag @zaffre

“there must be an easier way to raise the unemployment rate by 23 percent” thought President Mondale as he prepared to deploy the Dukakis Squad (sejm membership optional) to the most alligator-cannon-proof parts of Mexico

this post may also have inspired something else

Well this seems...more elaborate than most Nazi’s do well in World War 2 stories which makes it slightly interesting, though there are quite a few historical flaws. Also Nazi’s in Africa, what is this Afrika Reich?!

As (very) soft AH, it's not too bad. Nazis Into Central Africa is LOLwhat, but it does have the USSR survive the loss of Moscow and eventually turn the tide, so there's that.

As (very) soft AH, it's not too bad. Nazis Into Central Africa is LOLwhat, but it does have the USSR survive the loss of Moscow and eventually turn the tide, so there's that.
I agree, I think Nazi’s in Africa and America waiting until 1955 (have they been sleeping under a rock for 15 years?) to fight the Germany’s are it’s biggest flaws but for very Soft AH it ain’t bad. Also the Nazi’s performing a nuclear holocaust makes sense if anything.

Well this seems...more elaborate than most Nazi’s do well in World War 2 stories which makes it slightly interesting, though there are quite a few historical flaws. Also Nazi’s in Africa, what is this Afrika Reich?!

Devs: "How can we make it blatantly clear that this is a game by a Polish studio?"
Trailer:
1614480496533.png

Last edited:
It's definitely an interesting idea, and whatever weird timeline they've come up with is secondary to the actual game. Rather than lose, the Nazis dug themselves a national bunker and irradiated Europe, but now the bunker is empty and you're going in to find out what happened, solid enough premise for a game about exploring abandoned ruins. It reminds me of WWZ and what happened with North Korea, where the country went underground and no one has heard from them since.

An intriguing idea, even with the flaws. Any clues yet as to the release date?

Jumping back to this, I've had Afrika Reich on my "maybe" reading list for a while; any (ideally non-spoiler) comments for or against it?
Imagine The Wild Geese in an ATL Nazi dominated Africa.

I enjoyed it on that basis.
Pretty much this, it's an enjoyable book in a very 'ACTION FOR MEN' way and it's villain is incredibly repulsive which means he's effective.

Hadn't heard of that film till now; interesting. Based on what little I knew of the plot and setting, I suspected something more along the lines of Heart of Darkness.

Oh there's aspects of that too, but a lot of it is just boilerplate action/thriller.

Again though, if you can enjoy it on those merits...

Oh there's aspects of that too, but a lot of it is just boilerplate action/thriller.

Again though, if you can enjoy it on those merits...

Haven't gone near the explicitly "ACTION FOR MEN" type of fiction since I attempted to read just one of the Deathlands books and quit between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way thru. On the other hand, I think I haven't yet read an explicitly adventure/thriller AH, so...

Side note, going back to possible yet handwaveable issues in Paradise Lost: Was uranium really in such short supply in Europe or other OTL areas conquered by Nazi Germany that they would've ended up marching into Central Africa to mine it (presuming these stocks were even known of in the 1940s)?

Haven't gone near the explicitly "ACTION FOR MEN" type of fiction since I attempted to read just one of the Deathlands books and quit between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way thru.

Oh boy, you lit the signal for something I know too much about.

Deathlands, along with the other books in Harlequin's now-defunct Gold Eagle imprint, were the epitome of "ACTION FOR MEN" (their style is more frequently called "Men's Adventure"). My Smithtown books were specifically patterned on that kind of novel-short and action-packed. It's the kind of book that can work great for "AH as a setting". For "AH as a genre", not so much.

Sturgeon's Law applies extra-hard to them. You get/got some that are nicely paced and lack the bloat of bigger thrillers, but you also get some that are so shallow (even by action standards) that are still overstuffed with empty padding despite their short length.

As for the original topic, haven't read Afrika Reich yet myself either, but hearing the words "ACTION FOR MEN" made me interested and curious given what makes up the bulk of Fuldapocalypse. :p

Hadn't heard of that film till now; interesting. Based on what little I knew of the plot and setting, I suspected something more along the lines of Heart of Darkness.

There's quite a bit of edge on display and occasionally the sudden transistion from swashbuckling adventure to grimdark can be pretty jarring. It feels a bit exploitative, even moreso than you might expect from a book about the SS running Africa and although the main plot is pretty entertaining you might not escape the notion that the heroes and villains are playing around in a graveyard. Not that the book is entirely without African perspective, one PoV character is an Angolan mestiço woman who's arguably the most heroic character, certainly the most compelling.

Back