• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

I misremembered slightly, he's from the Republic. But Norn was a big inspiration. The Holocaust Studies Centre tells teachers to avoid it like the plague, suggesting other titles like Night instead.

Boyne claims Pyjamas is a fable, so can't be inaccurate. It can't misrepresent the Holocaust, as he's using it as dressing for a fable. Meaning that there are only anachronisms. But, if you want to write a fable about division, maybe you shouldn't be using the industrial murder of over six million people as your window dressing in order to score some cheap emotional heat?

Also, this.

And the HSC is damn right about it.

It pisses me off... there are better authors out there, but of all people sending books to publishers, he got published!

I remembered in an alternate history set in Harry Potter, apparently, some Hogwarts students became basketball fans because of MJ and his first three-peat.

That immediately destroyed my suspension of disbelief. I can excuse magic and flying cars, but there is no way any person in Britain is gonna give two shits about basketball when football is right there.

Semi-random question: Are there any "President Henry Wallace" AH timelines or books out there that don't revolve around his term(s) being a disaster, in one way or another?

Recently I did some research on him (results are here), and have to say, he is... interesting. Changed his political party at least three times, his church as well... that alone would put off many people. Unless FDR dies and he inherits the post, I can't see how people'd elect him.

But was he just naive towards "comrade" Stalin and nothing more? OTOH, he seemed to have founded a successful firm (so he was at least qualified for his job as agriculture secretary - albeit maybe not for POTUS), centralized agricultural politics of the US (even if the libertarians would hate it), made a law against soil erosion (Dust Bowl!), and in fact was called "assistant president of FDR". Hence, not all bad.

I remembered in an alternate history set in Harry Potter, apparently, some Hogwarts students became basketball fans because of MJ and his first three-peat.

That immediately destroyed my suspension of disbelief. I can excuse magic and flying cars, but there is no way any person in Britain is gonna give two shits about basketball when football is right there.
Dunno about you but Harry Potter and the Mailman from Utah was one of my favorite Potter novels in the late 90s.

More seriously, IOTL basketball seems to have more of a fanbase on the European continent (the Baltics and former Yugoslavia are basketball-crazy, and the big countries have thriving scenes) than in Britain.

Wonder what divergences it would take to reverse that and what effects that would have.

If this is the case, well then, all who love AH are out of a job, seems i need to find a new passion in life, maybe start dating.
The good news is, in some circumstances it's possible to use AH as a dating aid. I once managed to talk someone into a relationship by telling her about my TL.

The good news is, in some circumstances it's possible to use AH as a dating aid. I once managed to talk someone into a relationship by telling her about my TL.
Well i do not think many girls my age are walking around in my town with a huge sign that says I Love Alternate History.

If i typed in 2015 on any AH forum what would happen in the 2016 to 2022 period, i might get some question if i was crazy for ruining a TL.

Just read a Napoleon II SI, and while I find it pretty implausible in some ways, my eyebrows were really being raised at the forum members protesting the SI making the country MORE democratic when he won.

They could’ve complained he’s going too fast, but some are legitimately against him making it democratic at all and wants the SI to rule as an absolute monarch.

Just read a Napoleon II SI, and while I find it pretty implausible in some ways, my eyebrows were really being raised at the forum members protesting the SI making the country MORE democratic when he won.

They could’ve complained he’s going too fast, but some are legitimately against him making it democratic at all and wants the SI to rule as an absolute monarch.

The community is ridden with monarchists, and French timelines in particular are beset by people who believe that every movement away from Bourbon absolutism was a tragedy.

The community is ridden with monarchists, and French timelines in particular are beset by people who believe that every movement away from Bourbon absolutism was a tragedy.
Geez, the timeline itself was plenty unrealistic in just the battles. I mean, 200K Frenchman against 400K coalition members in Luxembourg and the French won in a basically clean sweep with late 19th century Prussian tactics in 1830? That’s as implausible as can be and they’re calling foul on the country becoming democratic and saying they’d realistically get tossed out for going too far?

Last edited:
Restore the Merovingians or bust. Francia has been ruled for too long by the Pippinid usurpers and their weak-willed ideological descendants with their “innovations” for far, far, far too long. Crap like democracy! Bah! Laïcité! Excuse me while I vomit into your baguette out of sheer disgust!

I weep knowing that the very real Dagobert XXI will never get to divide Gaul into four amongst his do-nothing sons, then have a rousing round of reunification wars amongst them when he kicks the bucket at a very old age of 44.

Restore the Merovingians or bust. Francia has been ruled for too long by the Pippinid usurpers and their weak-willed ideological descendants with their “innovations” for far, far, far too long. Crap like democracy! Bah! Laïcité! Excuse me while I vomit into your baguette out of sheer disgust!

I weep knowing that the very real Dagobert XXI will never get to divide Gaul into four amongst his do-nothing sons, then have a rousing round of reunification wars amongst them when he kicks the bucket at a very old age of 44.

That's just the Frankish yoke speaking. We're Gallo-Roman at heart and monarchism won't succeed until it recognize that fact. No More Foreign Kings!

Back