• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Antarcticas

This is supplementary to the four stories considered in the challenge?
Anyone who's submitted a story in the challenge is welcome to submit it for this anthology call after doing whatever revisions they want to do it. But there's no obligation on them to do so, of course - it depends what their plans are for what they've written.

All final decisions about stories will be made after seeing all of the submissions. Will need to see which stories fit together, how many stories there are on similar themes or topics, etc, before making final calls.

It's going ahead, but I may need to extend the timeframe for submission of stories (it closed on 31 July) due to the number of entries - I'm still reviewing the last couple before making a call on that.
If time permits I could work up an entry if you need more contributions.

@Jared
I just remembered that my entry for VC32 was set in Antarctica: https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/vc32-steampunk-an-early-rendezvous.3368/
At only 2000 words, it's probably too short for the anthology, but if you think it's worth it I might be able to make it a bit longer (though not much, I don't think - it really is just a vignette).
Feel free to submit something, though I will note that on the whole I'm looking for stories more than vignettes. Doesn't mean I can't find space for some, of course.

As an update, I'm officially extending the submission window for this anthology call until 15 November 2023. All new submissions before then will be considered. That's allowing for six weeks or so for edits etc. I do still aim to have a finished manuscript by the end of the year, though, even if I have to break out the pseudonyms and write the extra stories myself.

Hi Jared,
I'd absolutely love to submit a story for this anthology, are you still accepting submissions?

Would a story about one of Anson's ships getting chased by the Spanish and shipwrecking on Livingstone Island be considered Antarctica enough? The thought is grabbing some elements from the HMS Wager story and the San Telmo wreck and turning them into a harrowing tale about an alternate first human arrival in Antarctica.

Would a story about one of Anson's ships getting chased by the Spanish and shipwrecking on Livingstone Island be considered Antarctica enough? The thought is grabbing some elements from the HMS Wager story and the San Telmo wreck and turning them into a harrowing tale about an alternate first human arrival in Antarctica.
I'd be happy to have a look at that if you want to write it. Livingston Island is close enough to count as Antarctic - and some of the stories submitted so far have been set further north than that.

By way of general update, I've received more submissions the second time around for Alternate Antarcticas, enough so that there should be a viable anthology in there. I'm wrapping up another non-SLP project at the moment, but will be reviewing the received stories over the New Year.

Submissions are now closed to anything unqueried, though anyone who's previously queried about a story (or an extension to a submitted story, in a couple of cases) is welcome to send anything in until the end of the year and it will still be looked at when I review current stories. Anything received after New Year's Eve will not be considered.

Back