• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Allo Americana

Yes, the point you raise in the review is one I have had thrown at some of my short story anthologies; one even questioned why people write short stories at all. I could go on at length of the value of them, notably in the AH genre. However, I do think these days some readers get resentful if an author dares to leave some of the work to them. In contrast, I feel flattered by a short story anthology in feeling that the author(s) believed me adult/intelligent enough not to have to do all the work for me. That, however, might be because I come from the third quarter of the 20th Century.

Yes, I did wonder why she bought the book. I am often stunned by how little people read about books they buy and then blame the author for that. My self-published books have lots of caveats to try to dissuade people like that. My wife says I am the only author who puts more effort in trying to dissuade people from buying his books than encouraging them to buy it. The flak from irate buyers just got too tiresome after the first 3 years. There was even a stage in 2013 when I stopped all my sales and considered abandoning writing entirely.

I had never realised that there are so many people out there that are so indignant about something connected to writing that they will go as far as to buy a book so they can pan it on that basis. Perhaps the most extreme example was an American on Amazon who bought, read and watched anything to do with the medieval Mongols and portrayed it as being child-like if it dared to take any perspective that was not pro-Mongol.

Me, @M_Kresal, @Sulemain, and two guys not with accounts here discuss this anthology with Shahnaz Ahmed on her podcast Living a Life Through Books.

Me, @M_Kresal, @Sulemain, and two guys not with accounts here discuss this anthology with Shahnaz Ahmed on her podcast Living a Life Through Books.
Giving it a listen now.

Do you want me to circulate this on our social media?

Back