• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Albums from alternate timelines

breakaway.jpg

The Beach Boys - Break Away (1969)

Side A:

1. I Can Hear Music (Barry, Greenwich and Spector)
2. Time to Get Alone (B. Wilson)
3. Cease To Resist (D. Wilson and Mason)
4. Tears in the Morning (Johnston)
5. Slip On Through (D. Wilson and Mason)
6. Do It Again (B. Wilson and Love)

Side B:

7. Deirdre (Johnston)
8. All I Want to Do (D. Wilson)
9. This Whole World (B. Wilson)
10. Look at Your Game, Girl (Mason)
11. Our New Home (B. Wilson)
12. Break Away (B. Wilson and Mason)

"Break Away" was the last studio album to be released by American Rock group The Beach Boys prior to the murder of vocalist Mike Love by the mentally unwell songwriter Brian Wilson, under the direction of guitarist Charlie Mason. Many claim that the cover contains numerous clues either fortelling the murder or hinting at a coverup where Love's death was faked to break up the band and allow Brian Wilson to retire under an assumed alias. As the murder took place shortly after the album's release, many retailers pulled it from shelves, leading to a commercial failure but eventual cult status among patrician music fans.

View attachment 47620

The Beach Boys - Break Away (1969)

Side A:

1. I Can Hear Music (Barry, Greenwich and Spector)
2. Time to Get Alone (B. Wilson)
3. Cease To Resist (D. Wilson and Mason)
4. Tears in the Morning (Johnston)
5. Slip On Through (D. Wilson and Mason)
6. Do It Again (B. Wilson and Love)

Side B:
7. Deirdre (Johnston)
8. All I Want to Do (D. Wilson)
9. This Whole World (B. Wilson)
10. Look at Your Game, Girl (Mason)
11. Our New Home (B. Wilson)
12. Break Away (B. Wilson and Mason)

"Break Away" was the last studio album to be released by American Rock group The Beach Boys prior to the murder of vocalist Mike Love by the mentally unwell songwriter Brian Wilson, under the direction of guitarist Charlie Mason. Many claim that the cover contains numerous clues either fortelling the murder or hinting at a coverup where Love's death was faked to break up the band and allow Brian Wilson to retire under an assumed alias. As the murder took place shortly after the album's release, many retailers pulled it from shelves, leading to a commercial failure but eventual cult status among patrician music fans.
jesus

No Scene Magazine Primer for the 1980s (December 2020 Special Issue)

1980: Mount Fuji (David Bowie)
Bowie's tragic death lent his swan song mythos and importance. It is wholly deserved - Mount Fuji carried forward the experiments of his Berlin trilogy, but added the influence of Japanese S-Kei music to create something new.​
1981: Beketema Mishitochi (Walias Band)
The fall of the Derg regime opened up Ethiopian music to the world, and Hailu Mergia stepped out, his innovative jazz-funk appealing to westerners from the most mainstream to the furthest out-there. The Easy Eighties, the Experimental Eighties - Beketema Mishitochi is written into its very DNA.​
1982: Artemis (Artemis)
The new power of teens in the 1980s was matched only by the onward march of feminism as a popular genre. Girl groups like the Go-Go's and the Runaways had been significant before, but Artemis' self-titled album brought Chrissie Hynde, Susanna Hoffs, and Micki Steele together to create something else - a band that had ambitions beyond power-pop without pretending to be too cool for it.​
1983: American (Tom Waits)
Nobody expected the sound of the Long Seventies - in particular, the slow collapse of the Connally administration - to be gravelly cynicism. But Tom Waits made that material into something more - between all the odes to urban decay and the dispossessed, American is a love song to the America that was, to a world of dignity and gravity and earthiness that would become unrecognizable in just a few short years.​
1984: Babylon Burning (Lee "Scratch" Perry)
People thought the death of Bob Marley and the Jamaican Emergency killed reggae, or at least made it too controversial for Anglo audiences. They were wrong, and Babylon Burning - at once a celebration of the Jamaica that overcame the bloodshed of the early '80s and an attempt to grapple with the tragedies that now seemed over. Perry's experiments with electronica and punk influences mixed with his desire to write stories as well as songs to create one of the Republic of Jamaica's unofficial national epics.​
1985: New Day (Marvin Gaye)
What's Going On was the soundtrack of Tom Bradley's 1984 campaign - New Day became the sound of his presidency. Marvin Gaye's post-Motown career allowed him the opportunity to move outside the boxes he was put into - a 'soul singer', a 'Black musician' for Black and 'conscious' Anglo audiences - and do new things. His low-key experimentation with Brian Eno-esque ambient music built on his past to create the future.​
1986: Trouble in Paradise (Nova)
If America was facing a new dawn of progressivism, the United Kingdom was experiencing an eclipse; T. Dan Smith's polarizing legacy had both brought in Tony Barber's corporate conservatism and deeply fragmented his opposition. Into this mess came Malcolm Eden, Tim Gane, Lætitia Sadler, and Martyn Ware, to form a supergroup that combined smooth electronica with deeply Left politics, a marriage of punk and new wave that would cast a deep shadow over British music...​
1987: Candlestick Park (The Beatles)
We can't talk about '80s music - talk about the '80s at all - and not talk about The Beatles' reunion. Candlestick Park has been evaluated and re-evaluated a million times - a sad attempt to revive a rightly-dead ghost, a brilliant return to form for the Beatles, a participant in the new musical trends of the 1980s, an atavistic response to those same trends, an argument that The Beatles still matter, an argument that they never did. Whatever it is, Candlestick Park is, at the very least, still worth debating.​
1988: Photobooth / フォトブース (eXile)
What happens when the music industry kicks the flower of Anglo-American DIY techno out, and Japan invites them in? When the scattered remains of a dozen scenes and hundreds of bands reunite in the nightclubs of Akihabara and Nagoya, meet up with their Japanese counterparts, and start making records to appeal to audiences who can't speak each others' languages, in large part using illegal tape distribution networks and underground recording studios? You get eXile and Photobooth.​
1989: The Legend of Nat Turner (NWO Productions)
White America decided that the election and re-election of Tom Bradley meant that American racism was a closed book. Native Soul (OTL Q-Tip), Silver (OTL Scott La Rock), and Krishna-Rock (OTL KRS-One) thought differently, and they wanted to prove it - to the ghettos, the new Black middle class, and White America alike. Did Nat Turner or President Bradley define the Black experience of the New World Order? It tells you something that that's even on the table.​

If America was facing a new dawn of progressivism, the United Kingdom was experiencing an eclipse; T. Dan Smith's polarizing legacy had both brought in Tony Barber's corporate conservatism and deeply fragmented his opposition. Into this mess came Malcolm Eden, Tim Gane, Lætitia Sadler, and Martyn Ware, to form a supergroup that combined smooth electronica with deeply Left politics, a marriage of punk and new wave that would cast a deep shadow over British music...
Heaven 17 meets Sterolab is surprisingly based and unsurprisingly.

Here for Martyn Ware to continue being the pretentious fella in every documentary on Synthpop in the U.K.

1981: Beketema Mishitochi (Walias Band)
The fall of the Derg regime opened up Ethiopian music to the world, and Hailu Mergia stepped out, his innovative jazz-funk appealing to westerners from the most mainstream to the furthest out-there. The Easy Eighties, the Experimental Eighties - Beketema Mishitochi is written into its very DNA.

s l o w

If America was facing a new dawn of progressivism, the United Kingdom was experiencing an eclipse; T. Dan Smith's polarizing legacy had both brought in Tony Barber's corporate conservatism and deeply fragmented his opposition. Into this mess came Malcolm Eden, Tim Gane, Lætitia Sadler, and Martyn Ware, to form a supergroup that combined smooth electronica with deeply Left politics, a marriage of punk and new wave that would cast a deep shadow over British music...

Malcolm Eden sounds like a British MP's name

1989: The Legend of Nat Turner (NWO Productions)
White America decided that the election and re-election of Tom Bradley meant that American racism was a closed book. Native Soul (OTL Q-Tip), Silver (OTL Scott La Rock), and Krishna-Rock (OTL KRS-One) thought differently, and they wanted to prove it - to the ghettos, the new Black middle class, and White America alike. Did Nat Turner or President Bradley define the Black experience of the New World Order? It tells you something that that's even on the table.

welp, poor Tom Bradley

Honestly it ought to be pretty interesting, especially with Beketema Mishitochi in mind

POD: What if Thom Yorke never bothered to learn how to use a synthesiser?

This Is The Place
(the above link goes to a close-enough recobbling using old recordings and fan edits from our timeline)

View attachment 44004

1. Lift
2. Big Boots
3. Follow Me Around
4. Big Ideas
5. How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
6. The National Anthem
7. I Promise
8. True Love Waits
9. Motion Picture Soundtrack

This Is The Place is the fourth album by British rock band Radiohead. It was released in 2000 following a tumultuous and frustrated studio session; upon its release, it received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the composition of many individual songs but panned the album's structure, production, and perceived lack of ambition as a step back from their previous effort, OK Computer. The mixed response would cause the band to enter a prolonged hiatus until finally releasing their fifth album, Burn the Witch!, in 2006. — Britannia Online

1647691466766.png
1. Burn the Witch! (Enemy)
2. Piss On Our Parade (Oxford 2001)
3. Say The Word (Chimeras And Spells)
4. Good Morning Mr Magpie (You've Got Some Nerve Showing Your Face Around These Parts)
5. True Love Tape Loop (Close The Blast Doors)
6. Hail To The Thief (Flan In The Face)
7. You And Whose Army? (Hamdan v. Rumsfeld)
8. Reckoner (Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses)

Burn the Witch! is the fifth studio album by British rock band Radiohead, released in 2006. The record sees the band experiment with a more low-fi sound including influences from punk rock and ambient electronic music; it incorporates themes of political disillusionment, environmentalism, and criticism of music journalists.

To promote the album, the band eschewed traditional singles, instead launching an alternate reality game wherein players would find short snippets of album tracks. Upon its release, Burn the Witch! was panned by critics, who deemed Thom Yorke's lyricism immature and petty and its production and short length “unfinished”. In later years, the album has been reëvaluated as an important precursor to the late-2010s wave of hypopop.

Radiohead would follow Burn the Witch! with Field Recordings, an album comprising solo works by Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien, in 2008 to meet contract stipulations from EMI. They would continue to tour until officially disbanding in 2012.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nirvana - IV (1996)
Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl, Pat Smear

SIDE A
Aneurysm (Cobain/Grohl/Novoselic)
2. Good Grief! (Grohl)
3. Old Age (Cobain)
4. You Know You're Right (Cobain)
5. Clean Up Before She Comes (Cobain)
6. Winnebago (Grohl)
7. Sad Little Pisces Jesus Man (Cobain)

SIDE B
Alone + Easy Target (Grohl)
9. Me and my IV (Cobain)
10. Burn the Rain (Cobain)
11. Drowned in the Sun (Cobain)
12. I'll Stick Around (Grohl)
13. What More Can I Say? (Cobain/Grohl/Novoselic)

Last edited:
View attachment 52069

Nirvana - IV (1996)

SIDE A
Aneurysm (Cobain/Grohl/Novoselic)
2. Good Grief! (Grohl)
3. Old Age (Cobain)
4. You Know You're Right (Cobain)
5. Clean Up Before She Comes (Cobain)
6. Winnebago (Grohl)
7. Sad Little Pisces Jesus Man (Cobain)

SIDE B
Alone + Easy Target (Grohl)
9. Me and my IV (Cobain)
10. Burn the Rain (Cobain)
11. Drowned in the Sun (Cobain)
12. I'll Stick Around (Grohl)
13. What More Can I Say? (Cobain/Grohl/Novoselic)
maxresdefault.jpg
Nirvana - Violet (1998)

SIDE A
Breakout (Grohl)
2. Talk to Me (Cobain)
3. Bite My Hand (Novoselic)
4. Mail-order Books By Proust (Cobain)
5. Learn To Fly (Cobain/Grohl)
6. Horrified (Cobain)
7. Stinking Of You (Cobain/Love)

SIDE B
Poison's Gone (Cobain)
9. Dress Me Up (Gimmie Stitches) (Grohl)
10. She Only Lies (Cobain)
11. Orgone Chamber (Cobain)
12. Yodel (Cobain)
13. Do These Things For Me (Cobain)
14. Udder (Cobain)

Last edited:
View attachment 52217
Nirvana - Violet (1998)

SIDE A
Breakout (Grohl)
2. Talk to Me (Cobain)
3. Bite My Hand (Novoselic)
4. Mail-order Books By Proust (Cobain)
5. Learn To Fly (Cobain/Grohl)
6. Horrified (Cobain)
7. Stinking Of You (Cobain/Love)

SIDE B
Poison's Gone (Cobain)
9. Dress Me Up (Gimmie Stitches) (Grohl)
10. She Only Lies (Cobain)
11. Orgone Chamber (Cobain)
12. Yodel (Cobain)
13. Do These Things For Me (Cobain)
14. Udder (Cobain)
maxresdefault.png

Nirvana - International Tragedy (2003)

SIDE A
Abort! (Ballad of a Drunken Fool) (Cobain)
2. Petrol CB (Grohl)
3. Bright Smile (Cobain)
4. Screaming Bloody Murder All Over The World (Cobain)
5. All My Life (Grohl)
6. Milk Tickets (Cobain)
7. New Leash on Life (Cobain)
8. International Tragedy (Cobain)

SIDE B
Have It All (Grohl)
10. Underground Celebritism (Cobain)
11. Bronco (Cobain)
12. Everything Must Go (Cobain)
13. Hell's Garden (Grohl)
14. Lullaby (Cobain/Grohl)

Last edited:
View attachment 51368
1. Burn the Witch! (Enemy)
2. Piss On Our Parade (Oxford 2001)
3. Say The Word (Chimeras And Spells)
4. Good Morning Mr Magpie (You've Got Some Nerve Showing Your Face Around These Parts)
5. True Love Tape Loop (Close The Blast Doors)
6. Hail To The Thief (Flan In The Face)
7. You And Whose Army? (Hamdan v. Rumsfeld)
8. Reckoner (Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses)

Burn the Witch! is the fifth studio album by British rock band Radiohead, released in 2006. The record sees the band experiment with a more low-fi sound including influences from punk rock and ambient electronic music; it incorporates themes of political disillusionment, environmentalism, and criticism of music journalists.

To promote the album, the band eschewed traditional singles, instead launching an alternate reality game wherein players would find short snippets of album tracks. Upon its release, Burn the Witch! was panned by critics, who deemed Thom Yorke's lyricism immature and petty and its production and short length “unfinished”. In later years, the album has been reëvaluated as an important precursor to the late-2010s wave of hypopop.

Radiohead would follow Burn the Witch! with Field Recordings, an album comprising solo works by Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien, in 2008 to meet contract stipulations from EMI. They would continue to tour until officially disbanding in 2012.

1674392995039.png

SIDE A
Thom Yorke - Drowning in the Swarm
Dawn Chorus (5:49)
2. Dogwander (2:30)
3. Decks Dark (4:44)
4. Before They Come (3:12)

SIDE B
Jonny Greenwood - Bodysongs
Trench (2:41)
6. Barn Doors (1:59)
7. The King of Limbs (6:00)
8. Wild und Leise (5:49)

SIDE C
Ed O’Brien - Songs from Earth
9. Arranha-céus (12:32)
10. The Fall of Shangri-La (5:01)
Originally intended for Marvel Studios’ Iron Man and the Mandarin
11. Moonrise Kingdom (4:01) from Wes Anderson’s New Penzance
12. Coda (0:59)

Field Recordings is a compilation album of new music by the British rock band Radiohead, released in 2009. The band’s final studio release, it comprises three parts, each containing four songs by one of the band’s members.

The record received little promotion before its release, and the band repeatedly refused requests for interviews from the press. Though the group have never officially commented on why this is, it is generally believed that they were unhappy with its release, and did so merely to fulfil their contract with EMI.

The band would disband in 2012, with each member going on their own path. Lead singer Thom Yorke and drummer Philip Selway released a series of folk music albums, beginning with 2013’s Isis. Jonny Greenwood became a professional DJ and experimental electronic artist, going on to found Idioteque Records in 2012. Ed O’Brien primarily works in the realm of film score, and is acclaimed for his collaborations with director Wes Anderson. Colin Greenwood retired from public life and now lives with his family of four in Abingdon, occasionally making the rounds on TV and radio to reminisce on the success of “Creep”.

Last edited:
Back