• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: Alliance between the far-left and far-right

A right-wing German military dictatorship would have better relations with the Soviet Union than Nazi Germany. They would have no lebensraum ideology and the German generals had cooperated with the Soviet Union for years in circumventing the military restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles.

Much has been written about the similarities between the two extremes of the political spectrum and how they agree on certain topics. However, even though there are some things similar (shared opposition to liberalism, capitalism etc.) the differences between the two were, and are, sufficient to prevent any sort of "Red-Brown" alliance from actually being formed. Could this not be the case? How could the far-right and far-left actually converge internationally?

The KDP and NSDAP aligned multiple times during Weimar, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact in 1939-1941 (Including the failed attempt to bring the USSR into the Axis in November of 1940) and then Stalin's efforts to forge an Anti-American/Soviet aligned Far-Right in Post War Germany. In the United States, you had the followers of Francis Parker Yockey which has had echoes to the modern day.

Thinking about it more I realize that such an alliance is only really possible if you get to marginalize both the far left and far right to the point where they will be forced to align on some issues rather than focus on their differences to get what they want. The more powerful they get, the less they have to coalesce and the more they realize just how different they really are in terms of what they want for society

I agree that a meaningful thing that lasts isn’t possible, but one of the options for temporary stuff that hasn’t been mentioned is coalition governments in dominant party systems. It doesn’t seem impossible (maybe people who know more about the specific countries will tell me it is) that the far right and the far left in, say, Japan would be part of a coalition designed to remove the LDP. That wouldn’t last, of course, but I’m fairly sure I’ve heard of things - perhaps not Japan - where it’s been proposed or even briefly happened.

Right and left wing are ultimately labels we put on the opposing ends of the political spectrum, rather than coherent political positions unto themselves. A movement that is both far left and far right is a contradiction in terms, as the definitions would just change to make said movement one wing and the opposition to it the other wing.

As for the question of whether you could see a political culture where elements we today consider both far right and far left are combined? Absolutely. I think we're in the early stages of political realignment just like that now. Heck, you could argue it's already happened. The free marketers were the original left after all.

Back