• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa during the Scramble: The Christian

This is fascinating, especially that a large part of what helps is Sechelles being quite good at fighting and the Boers clinging to "the Europeans must've taught him" to soothe their egos. And that at this time and place, missionaries were popular because you could get stuff out of them

I'd be fascinated at looking at a scenario where British attention is distracted from South Africa for few crucial years in the late 1890s and Selbourne (and Kruger's!) fears of the region being unifed by uitlander Randlords in the Transvaal comes true.

The United States of Southern Africa was the term I found coming up in correspondence.

Last edited:
Sounds to me that he played a role which should not be neglected but that by his own standards he was indeed a failure and that trying to say he wasn't also runs into denying Sechele his agency as is all too often the case when it comes to history of places running into the orbit of colonisers.
On the one hand yes Livingstone only converted one guy, on the other hand, it's a such a big one I think it counts at least twice. Whole thing reminds me of the early spread of Christianity into Europe and East Africa actually.

On the one hand yes Livingstone only converted one guy, on the other hand, it's a such a big one I think it counts at least twice. Whole thing reminds me of the early spread of Christianity into Europe and East Africa actually.

Fair. Like converting the King of Axum is enough in itself to get Ethiopia to turn.

I think the difference here is Sechele was not converted as the leader of 30,000 men. He was converted as a leader of 300 men and gained the others, and his non subject converts after Livingstone had given up on him.

Back