• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa During the Scramble: Spanish Slaves

That's a fascinating titbit about how what's now Equatorial Guinea was run from Buenos Aires of all places. That may even beat running the Philippines from Mexico City in the Unusual Spanish Colonial Administration stakes.

Aden being part of Bombay is the other classic. That tidbit, of course, had nothing at all to do with the actual topic of the article but I do love weird colonial administrations so I had to mention it.

Aden being part of Bombay is the other classic. That tidbit, of course, had nothing at all to do with the actual topic of the article but I do love weird colonial administrations so I had to mention it.
And Singapore was part of the Bengal Presidency.

Great article. Here is an interesting fact: Spain had major problems asserting control over Annobón in the first decades because the locals were pro-Portuguese and didn't want to be ruled by Spain. Annobón is very much like São Tomé and Príncipe and speaks a Portuguese based creole. It's largely because of Annobón that Equatorial Guinea joined the CPLP.

Back