• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. G

Glhermine's maps and data
    Threadmarks: Colombia 1998, R1

Finally finished a map of the 1998 Colombian presidential election, first round. As always, errors are possible, although this is from the official source. Colombian politics were very polarized and acrimonious in 1998 in the wake of the Samper presidency, marred by the Proceso 8.000 and the...
  2. G

Threadmarks: PACA 1974

'PACA' in 1974 Mitterrand won the Bouches-du-Rhône (56.4%), Var (50.1%) and Alpes-de-Haute-Provence (53.5%) while Giscard won the Alpes-Maritimes (53.6%), Hautes-Alpes (51.8%) and Vaucluse (52.5%). Seven years later, the Var was the only department to switch to Giscard, obviously presaging...
  3. G

Threadmarks: Île-de-France 1974

A rather interesting map: Ile-de-France in 1974. A very evenly divided region as always. Giscard won in Paris (56.7%), Yvelines (52.9%), Seine-et-Marne (50.7%) and Hauts-de-Seine (50.1%) while Mitterrand won in Seine-Saint-Denis (61.7%), Val-d'Oise (54.8%), Val-de-Marne (53.4%) and Essonne...
  4. G

Threadmarks: Bretagne 1981

1981, Mitterrand elected. In Brittany, Giscard won narrowly - with 50.8% against 49.2% for Mitterrand, a substantial swing to the left from seven years prior, when Giscard won 56.8%. Interestingly, Giscard still won four of the five departments, with the exception again of the Côtes-du-Nord...
  5. G

Threadmarks: Bretagne 1965

Charles de Gaulle won by a landslide in Brittany, with 62.6%, over 7% better than his nationwide result. He won all five departments, with his best departments being Ille-et-Vilaine (67.6%) and Morbihan (66.5%), and his weakest being the Côtes-du-Nord (-d'Armor) with 54.8%. He won 60.7% in...
  6. G

Threadmarks: Bretagne 1974

So a new book by Thomas Piketty and Julia Cagé, Une histoire du conflit politique: Élections et inégalités sociales en France 1789-2022, has made available online a real treasure trove of previously inaccessible electoral data by scanning procès-verbaux of presidential and legislative elections...
  7. G

Threadmarks: Colombia 1970

Got my hands on a full database of Colombian presidential election results by municipality from 1970 to 2002 from a reputable source (well, the official source) that appears devoid of mistakes and errors. So here is the controversial 1970 election: Misael Pastrana, the Official Candidate of...
  8. G

Threadmarks: Colombia 2002, 2006

2002 and 2006 Colombian presidential elections at the municipal level - I made the 2002 map some years ago but never posted it here, I made the 2006 map a few days ago when I noticed that for whatever reason the Registraduría had a new website just for them (?). The 2002 results are from files...
  9. G

Max's election maps and assorted others

That Oldenburg constituency takes non-contiguous to a whole new level.
  10. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2020 place of birth

So I hope this will be more interesting for people - place of birth. We obviously hear a lot about Mexican immigration to the US but there's also a lot of internal migration within Mexico as well as return migration from the US and growing foreign immigration to Mexico. In 2020, 102.7 million...
  11. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2020 fertility rate

The average number of children born, at any point in time, per women over 12 was 2.1 in 2020, down from 2.3 in 2010 and the lowest in recorded history - the fertility rate was over 6 until the mid-1970s. Guerrero and Zacatecas had the highest (2.5), followed by Michoacán and Oaxaca (2.4). CDMX...
  12. G

Threadmarks: Mexico age groups 2020

Here is a map by age groups, defined by me. You may take issue with my groupings and I don't love them myself, but whatever. I think they're still useful. 0-14 - 25.3% of the Mexican population: Chiapas has the highest percentage of children (32%), closely followed by Guerrero (29%)...
  13. G

Threadmarks: Mexico age stats 2020

Now moving on to some age statistics. The median age in 2020 was 29 years old, compared to 26 in 2010. This is the highest median age since at least the 1950s, Mexico's median age has been gradually increasing since the 1970s. CDMX was the oldest state, with a median age of 35, followed by...
  14. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2015-2020 population growth

Here's another annual population growth map, but for 2015-2020 instead. There was an 'intercensal survey' in 2015 of 6.1 million households. The population reported in 2015 was 119.5 million, compared to 126 million in 2020. Population growth nationally was 1.2% annually from 2010-15 and 1.1%...
  15. G

Monterrey's metropolitan area (the core municipality itself less so) is certainly still a rapidly growing area - its population is now over 4.6 million, compared to 3.9 million in 2010 and 3.2 million in 2000. But another border metropolitan area which is growing even faster is Tijuana - as of...
  16. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 1895-2020 state population data

Here is the state population (absolute and share of the national population) in every census since 1895 CDMX/DF peaked in the 1970 census when it made up 14.3% of the Mexican population, it is now down to 7.3% of the country's population. Edomex's population surge from the rapid suburban...
  17. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2020 Census population

I've finally gotten around to making some basic maps of the 2020 Mexican census data at the state level. To start off with, population growth: For whatever reason, I can't seem to understand how INEGI calculated its average annual pop growth numbers in its executive summary presentation for...
  18. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2000 megamap

Did this map a while ago, but here is the 2000 Mexican presidential election at the municipal level. Goes without saying that Vicente Fox's victory in 2000 was the PRI's first defeat in a national election. He won 42.5% against 36.1% for the priista candidate, Francisco Labastida, former...
  19. G

Threadmarks: Mexico 2018 megamap

Here is the finished product of a crazy project: the 2018 Mexican election down to the municipal level. Always a rewarding end product but making it is long and tedious, and lots of questions like "why does Oaxaca/Tlaxcala have so many municipalities" or "were Yucatán's municipal boundaries...
  20. G

Here's an ethnic map of Peru on the basis of the ethnic self-identification question of the 2017 census, down to the provincial level (second-level). Nationally the population is 60.2% mestizo, 22.3% Quechua, 5.9% white, 3.6% black/brown, 2.4% Aimara, 1% other and 0.9% Amazon...
Back