• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. B

BBadolato's Barony of Bij

Okay, I've finally managed to do it, even if it was a total pain in the ass, but I hope it can be read. This is an attempted political map of the Han dynasty by about 190 AD/CE for a TL I want to go get back into. All of it's commanderies and dependent states are marked and label with their...
  2. B

EBOOK RELEASE: If We'd Just Got That Penalty

I'm glad to know this is out, but I always find myself unsure of my own writing. Although it does give me an idea of where and what I want the future of A Storm Over Okehazama to look like. I'm still unsure of the quality, but thanks for doing all of this Gary.
  3. B

Appropriate names for emperors in a 'Meiji China' scenario?

Working out of noble titles sounds kind of bizarre. Era names kind of had their own formats for them, you could try and crib earlier era names if you wanted to.
  4. B

Appropriate names for emperors in a 'Meiji China' scenario?

Okay, names IIRC might be a posthumous thing no you did have one era and one emperor names at this time, but the dynasty name could work, but not as the character for flame but you did have a state of Yan. Can you give us more about this dynasty, like where the revolt it was a part of started...
  5. B

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 2.

So what you guys are telling me is that instead of facing down Heinrich-Lee von Nazistein-Richmond in a grand showdown for the heart and soul of AH over bestsellers, we're both basically genre drifters without a home who would probably be meeting each other in the poor house? On a serious note...
  6. B

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 2.

The thing with Alternate History as 'genre' is it's pretty loose even down to its very definitions, and even this loose definition could be seen as window dressing for another genre than a true genre in and of itself. If you take Alternate history as anything that deviates from the world as we...
  7. B

This is a labeled version or at least the Eight Kingdoms are labeled.
  8. B

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 1.

I have something of a problem with ‘New AH’, that term alone sounds like we are ceding AH as something that belongs to Neo-Confederates and Neo-Nazis. But if I'm being honest and very blunt I think the solution of just making new Non-American Civil War and non-World War II AH and calling it...
  9. B

The Thirty-First HoS Challenge

What counts as Legacy here, I had an idea but it would only be three maybe four names long, it would cover a rather small time and most of the leaders are still alive through the relevant time period. The legacy, in this case, would be father-son conflict across three generations. Would that...
  10. B

Alternate History General Discussion

Ah, so The Producers approach.
  11. B

The Twenty-Eighth HoS Challenge

This is my first attempt at a HOS challenge, I hope I haven't messed up anything with the format. Monarchs of the Wars of the Eight Kingdoms 1630-1752 The Empire of the Great Ming or the Eastern Ming (1368-1808) fell into turmoil with the death of the Taicheng Emperor. The reign of young Zhu...
  12. B

WI: Ho Chi Minh Leads Unified Vietnam

I mean that it wasn't this sudden shocking thing. The U.S was thinking of ways to split the second world as early as 1947, before anything as belligerent as the Berlin blockade had happened, and some had even thought that the CCP and later PRC could be made to 'switch sides' or that the U.S had...
  13. B

To give the above more context. The premise is, in my TL, Ashikaga Yoshiaki is encouraged to flee to the Ming court (Green) by his brother Yoshiteru as word of the Imagawa marching on the capital spreads. He becomes a valued member of the Ming court under the Zuli Yizhao and his two sons Yuli...
  14. B

WI: Ho Chi Minh Leads Unified Vietnam

I mean China's break with the USSR wasn't dramatic, but an earlier united Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh would probably be working both sides of the Sino-Soviet Split like Korea did. Mind you an earlier reunification of Vietnam could be essential for easing Sino-Soviet tensions while Mao is still...
  15. B

Threadmarks: Map of the Eight Kingdoms, 1640

Just something I got out of my system to inspire me to go make a HOS list and vignette submission.
  16. B

Discussion/argument: If America hadn't forced Japan to open up Japan wouldn't and couldn't have rampaged in Asia & Pacific in 20th century

The Short answer no, the long answer no. Japan's actions in WW2 can be explained as mission creep. Basically, Northern Indochina gets occupied because Japan wants to cut off Nationalist supply lines. That escalates into all of Indochina and the Oil Embargo. Failed negotiations with the U.S by...
  17. B

Discovery of the Americas delayed: does Spain take the Reconquista to North Africa?

Eh I don't think Portugal would want to conquer Morroco, even if they could get allies who don't want to be Ottoman vassals. The Portuguese MO was very rarely outright conquest, the Portuguese generally had outposts everywhere. But with no New World colonies perhaps Spain tries to get in on...
  18. B

ASB: Alexander the Great lives 1,000 years, ascends to Olympus

I mean it would be, saying this as both a thanatophobe, and having had to read a book on Immortality. Immortality would be absolute hell, even for 1000 years. You would be out of touch, out of time, possibly wondering if people places and events start to just blur together. Even if your mind is...
  19. B

Also I feel your giving Alexander too much power here despite the fact even with immortally of this kind it's not an I win button. Yes he has all of this power as one man, but he's still just one man, he can't fight armies or administer all on his own. He might not be able to die in battle, but...
  20. B

I don't think he can, assuming he manages to remain sane through living through 1000 years, there's an issue of logistics, manpower, and the fact yes he cannot be killed he can be imprisoned unless he has super strength?
Back