• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. C

Book Review: Disaster At Stalingrad

Disaster at Stalingrad -Peter G. Tsouras I have often found the alternate campaign histories of various wars to be deeply fascinating, as the best of them draw on real-world details such as accurate orders of battle, and historical notes written by the commanders involved, in putting together a...
  2. C

The Munich War and Afterwards

Two points: First, this was inspired by the earlier Munich discussions on this board here - https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/ramifications-of-an-allied-victory-in-a-1938-war.6574/ Second, absolutely nothing here is intended to be controversial in any way. Part One: The...
  3. C

Book Review - The Armchair General World War One: Can You Win The Great War?

The Armchair General World War One: Can You Win The Great War? by John Buckley, Spencer Jones It is very easy, as I noted in my review of the first Armchair General book (covering the Second World War), to fall into trap of believing that the people on the spot, at the time, enjoyed the same...
  4. C

Rhineland Independent State, 1923?

Towards the end of the French Occupation of the Rhineland in 1923, there were at least two semi-serious attempts by locals (with a certain amount of French backing) to separate the Rhineland from Germany and declare it an independent state. The attempted uprisings failed, and the French didn’t...
  5. C

GOTS: No South African Contact?

I was rereading The Guns of the South tropes page in preparation for an article I’m planning and it raised an interesting point. Why didn’t the Riverton Men/AWB go to South Africa and make contract with their ancestors? Helping the CSA might make sense, because the Boers would need allies, but...
  6. C

Richard The Lionheart Never Taken Prisoner

Historically, Richard was taken prisoner during his return from the Crusades and held in captivity until a huge ransom was paid. This gave the enemies of his empire a chance to take advantage of his absence, weakening the fabric holding the empire together and ensuring it would collapse under...
  7. C

Edward Seymour’s War on Scotland Is Won

Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, became Lord Protector of England after the death of Henry VIII and continued to wage war against the Scots, in a futile bid to have Edward married to Mary Queen of Scots. His war didn’t just fail – it drove the Scots into French arms. What if he’d actually...
  8. C

General Dumas, Defender of the French Revolution

I was recently reading The Black Court, which outlined the historical General Dumas’s career – a mixed-race man who became a revolutionary general and fought with Napoleon in both Italy and Egypt before being captured and barely returning to France before dying – sadly, in an era where the hopes...
  9. C

What If The Spanish Republicans Sank A German Battleship?

I wrote this with Dragon, so please forgive any errors. What If The Spanish Republicans Sank A German Battleship? I’m not sure how plausible this scenario actually is. My reading suggests it is at least theoretically possible, but it would be a long shot. On the other hand, the question of...
  10. C

Book Review: Operation C3: Hitler's Plan to Invade Malta 1942

Book Review: Operation C3: Hitler's Plan to Invade Malta 1942 -John Burtt Throughout the history of the Second World War, there have been numerous military operations that were planned but never carried out for one reason or another. The German invasion of England in 1940 is one such operation...
  11. C

Amphibia Review

(Might interest a few people) Amphibia Review Still testing the dictation software … I am going to be honest here, and admit it took me quite some time to get into Amphibia. The series looked interesting, but the first season was badly let down by its main character. I found Anne Boonchuy...
  12. C

King Arthur, 1509-??

One of the lesser-known facts about Henry VIII was that he was actually the second son – his older brother, Arthur, Prince of Wales (1486 - 1502), was the eldest son of King Henry VII of England and Elizabeth of York. Arthur was not, apparently, as manly a figure as his younger brother and there...
  13. C

Parisgrad 1944

Sorry about the title - I'm so ashamed. Anyway, what if the Germans made a stand in Paris and/or the Allies decided to take the city rather than outflanking it? Chris
  14. C

Stalin Doesn't Invade Poland, 1939

Inspired by the Ribbentrop Beck Pact, i started to wonder ... what if Stalin, for whatever reason, declines to invade Poland as planned in 1939? Chris
  15. C

Mexico Frees the Slaves

I was reading A Honourable Defeat earlier, which tells the Mexican side of the story leading up to the US-Mexican War. It’s quite interesting – in theory, Mexico should have been able to put up a far stiffer fight, but inherent political corruption, state weaknesses and infighting – to say...
  16. C

Richmond Falls Early, 1864

I was recently reading Hymns of the Republic (Gwynne, 2019) and it raised an interesting possibility. A Union force, under the command of General Butler in 1864, found itself in a position to take both Richmond and Petersburg during the fighting in the Wilderness, a bold stroke that appealed to...
  17. C

Book Review - The Armchair General: Can You Defeat The Nazis?

The Armchair General: Can You Defeat The Nazis? -John Buckley If you were the decision-maker at the turning points of WW2, knowing what they knew at the time, could you do better? Or worse? One of the fundamental problems with writing alternate histories is that writers have the benefit of...
  18. C

A Japanese Spy Tips off The US to Pearl Harbour

(One for the weird-POD collection) Shortly before Pearl Harbour, a Japanese agent who was more impressed with himself than any of his superiors was sent to Pearl Harbour to recon the naval base shortly before the attack. This agent looked on the waiting American ships and exceeded his mandate...
  19. C

Hitler escapes jail after the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923

Historically, Hitler's imprisonment in 1923 was a blessing in disguise for him (and a curse to the rest of us) because it isolated Hitler from the struggles that threatened to tear the Nazi Party apart after the failed Putsch. The in-fighting went on without him, which meant he didn't have to...
  20. C

What if Mussolini Doesn't Intervene in Spain

I was reading 'Mussolini's War' - very detailed, if you want to know more about Italy in WW2 - and it raised a point. Italy's intervention in Spain was incredibly costly, to the point Italy's rearmerant program was delayed for years (ultimately fatally) and Italy never really had a chance to...
Back