• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. C

The Spanish Empire without the Peninsular War

Interesting question I always had the impression the colonies were on shaky ground even before the Spanish were invaded by Napoleon – I don’t recall any real objections to Louisiana being transferred to France and then sold to America, although I could easily have missed something. Assuming the...
  2. C

Russia continues in the 2008 Russo-Georgian War

I had the impression that Obama’s remarks to Mitt Romney - "the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back, because, the Cold War’s been over for 20 years" - were a bit earlier than 2010, when he wrote those words, or 2012, when Obama use them to undermine Mitt Romney’s campaign...
  3. C

The Munich War and Afterwards

I repeat my previous disclaimer - nothing here is intended to be controversial. The Munich War And Aftermath Part 2 What Has Happened So Far? Faced with the prospect of being deprived of his wished-for war, Adolf Hitler demanded that the entirety of Czechoslovakia was to be surrendered to...
  4. C

Russia continues in the 2008 Russo-Georgian War

It’s been a while since I looked at the war, but IIRC Russia was in a position to take the remainder of the country and impose a puppet regime. That said, there WAS a great deal of overestimation of Russia’s combat power – as we saw in Ukraine – and it is at least possible that the Russian...
  5. C

Alternate History General Discussion

I suppose i walked into that one. Chris
  6. C

Alternate History General Discussion

Here's a question that's been bugging me as i lay the plans for my next AH novel ... Just how committed to the Nazis was Werner Von Braun? Chris
  7. C

I always had the impression that Stalin thought the French and Germans would grind each other down in 1940, weakening them both so the USSR could eventually stab Hitler in the back. Germany's near-complete victory, so quickly, shocked hell out of him. Chris
  8. C

This website is banned in Malaysia

That's bad. We're going back there in March, and perhaps staying for a year or so later on. Some sites are banned there - I think fanfiction.net was banned in places. Chris
  9. C

Book Review: Disaster At Stalingrad

That, and the belief the Wehrmacht would overthrow/kill Hitler and win a better peace.
  10. C

Book Review: Disaster At Stalingrad

Disaster at Stalingrad -Peter G. Tsouras I have often found the alternate campaign histories of various wars to be deeply fascinating, as the best of them draw on real-world details such as accurate orders of battle, and historical notes written by the commanders involved, in putting together a...
  11. C

WI: Taiwan had nukes?

It’s been a long time since I looked at any of this, but IIRC there was a US study in which much of the Chinese population could be wiped out with relatively few nuclear bombs – this does assume, of course, that one had the ability to get them to their targets and while the US did and does...
  12. C

Ramifications of an Allied Victory in a 1938 War?

I started a timeline here - https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-munich-war-and-afterwards.6679/ Comments welcome Chris
  13. C

Two points: First, this was inspired by the earlier Munich discussions on this board here - https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/ramifications-of-an-allied-victory-in-a-1938-war.6574/ Second, absolutely nothing here is intended to be controversial in any way. Part One: The...
  14. C

Non-SLP Writing Opportunities

As you may be aware, I and a number of other authors have been publishing Fantastic Schools - a collection of novellas and short stories with a overall theme of magical education. A handful of those collections have been centred on a smaller theme – Staff, Sports, Middle Schools, Holidays - and...
  15. C

POD - Hitler, who actually wanted a war in 1938, gets greedy and demands ALL of Czechoslovakia. Chamberlain (et al) grow a spine. How does that sound? Chris
  16. C

It's a difficult issue to address. The problem was that the Japanese 'might' be willing to fall back from some places, but they'd fear that giving into one set of demands would encourage more demands - not impossible, if they had already signaled weakness; they might, in this timeline, learn...
  17. C

Never underestimate the need for entertainment <wink> More seriously, Japan in Alt-1938/9 is in a dangerous place. The Chinese have virtually unlimited supplies of manpower, and there is no way in hell the Japanese are going to convince many Chinese to join their forces or accept Japanese...
  18. C

The fundamental problem facing Japan was that they were both unable and unwilling to bring the war in China to anything resembling a victorious end. They were dreadful invaders and occupiers and the best the Chinese could hope for, if the Japanese won, was permanent second-class status in their...
  19. C

Linked to this, two other thoughts: -Italy wasted a lot of resources on Spain in OTL, with very little to show for it. If they actually spend more in this timeline, with or without the UK/France working up the nerve to tell them to stop, they're not going to be in any shape to fight another war...
Back