• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. I

Civil War, the movie

I've not seen the film, but from what I've read, it never occurred to me to think of it as AH. It seemed more a commentary on the extreme polarisation of US politics. The author of Prophet Song, by Paul Lynch, about the descent of modern Ireland into civil war and repression, has apparently...
  2. I

Advancements in technologies made obsolete before they were perfected IOTL

I think you are right. As I said, my original post was about alternatives to the PC as a piece of hardware, which back then ran some variety of DOS, where the BBC and the Amiga were streets ahead. Early versions of Windows were really just a fancy front end for MS-DOS, and it took three versions...
  3. I

Of course - I was thinking of an alt-PC not the company which designed it.
  4. I

Only in the UK, given its key role in school IT teaching. (I sold mine to the local secondary school. I still have the Amiga which replaced it) Even then, not in terms of the technology employed. I don't know if it's changed, but after the demise of the BBC micro, school IT lessons seemed to be...
  5. I

The Amiga 500, the BBC Micro and perhaps the Sinclair Spectrum had the potential to develop into an alternative to the PC with MSDOS. The BBC in particular was very flexible with the ability to run parallel boards accessible by the *command. Mine had a Word processor accessed that way. The Amiga...
  6. I

Monthly vignette: Cheap at the Price.

It's hard to pin down, but I think I know what you mean. Good writing has a spring in its step, and this doesn't always succeed in getting there. I sympathise - I'm on the point of rewriting 80,000 words because what I've written has that same problem of being just too heavy footed to work properly.
  7. I

What happens to Australia if transportation continues to British North America?

Yes, but transportees provided much of the labour force involved in opening up the country to European farming and settlement. Without that free labour force what would happen?
  8. I

Alternate History General Discussion

Did I read somewhere that they tried to develop some sort of analog computers rather than the binary at the hear of modern systems? Or was that a myth?
  9. I

As far as I can see, free settlers and convicts arrived in very roughly the same numbers up to the middle of the 19th century. Without transportation the development of the country would have been very different.
  10. I

Transportation to Australia, began as an alternative to North America once that option became unavailable. In a world where Britain somehow retains all or even most of British North America, as here for example, what are the implications for Australia? Does Britain lose interest? Would other...
  11. I

Fiction Friction: Beloved Characters That Nearly Weren't

Definitely. I tend to start with a broad idea, and just write until I run out of steam. Only then do I start planning. That's when certain characters can start to take on a life of their own, becoming 'real' people, not just vehicles for the story. An example is Cassie in my current TL, The...
  12. I

Writing AH. Anachronisms Part 5: Fly Me to the Moon

In the latest episode of Foundation that I watched, Hari Seldon's home planet has a huge moon, within the planetary atmosphere.
  13. I

A Complete Index of all Sea Lion Press Articles

They have them, but I suspect most bloggers never used it. TypePad and Wordpress both have categories, which, if used correctly, would I think produce lists like those in the initial post. Others I think use tags, which could work if kept under control.
  14. I

The Multi-Faceted Nature of AH

It happens everywhere. Etsy, when I sold there, was full of people spamming every category imaginable. They never seemed to grasp that they were actually reducing their visibility by pissing off potential customers.
  15. I

Monthly vignette: Cheap at the Price.

Even for the survivors.
  16. I

Westminster with Proportional Representation. Part 3.

In my view, one of the strengths of PR is the likelihood of coalitions. The Conservative/Lib Dem coalition was something of a disaster, but having seen how the Tories behaved once they were free of it (and continue to behave), I'm tended to believe the line that the Lib Dems restrained their...
  17. I

Kindle rankings

I do have a Kindle, but I still use the app on an Android Tablet. If I know I'm going to be stuck somewhere for a while, like a hospital waiting room, I sometimes even download whatever I'm reading to my phone.
  18. I

What is the trajectory of Spanish Louisiana (& Florida) without Napoleonic France taking it back?

I think Louisiana and the Louisiana Purchase (or not) are an underrated POD when you think of the potential implications. I had my own try here: https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/britain-takes-louisiana-in-1763.5246/
  19. I

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

I've often tried - and failed - to imagine the US football draft applied to the Premier League.., In a different area, the behaviour, and powers, of Home Owner Associations (HOA) are astonishing, when compared to the UK situation. Quite tyrannical.
  20. I

Earliest High-Speed Rail in the UK?

The rationale for OTL HS2 seems to have changed over time, from faster, which never really added up, to increased capacity. Capacity issues have dogged the network for some time and remedying them is costing a lot of money. In some cases, because of penny-pinching decisions initially. Reading...
Back