• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. H

Book Nook: If It Had Happened Otherwise

A note which may be relevant to the selection of authors here - Harold N was best known at the time of publication as a Foreign Office diplomat, eg in then British client Iran, who retired early to become an MP and diarist; he later became more famous as a Conservative statesman and husband...
  2. H

Maria the Conqueror: What if Boris I of Bulgaria only had two children (daughters)?

I take it that in this timeline the Comnenus emperors of the Bulgar-Roman empire are the actual OTL emperors of Trebizond in 1204 - 1463, that is the descendants of Andronicus I of the OTL Eastern Roman Empire (ruled 1183-5). His son Manuel's sons Alexius and David were the founders of that...
  3. H

The Alternate Lavender Island: Jack Tindale.

Three cheers for another Joan Aiken fan; I started reading her unusual 'Alt History' novels as a teenager and found them mildly weird but incredibly imaginative and thought-provoking. The 'Jacobite not Hanoverian dynasty' idea was one I'd had myself and developed, cf my own Alt Hist ebooks...
  4. H

WI: Different Byzantine fallout post-Manzikert?

The politico-ideological dynamic for the way that the First Crusade was launched came from alarmed reports from returning Western pilgrims to Jerusalem in the early 1090s of how the Seljuks had been mistreating them and local Christians since they took over Jerusalem from the Fatimids . This...
  5. H

A few more thoughts on different Byzantine lines of development after Manzikert, based on ideas from my own published and not-yet-published ebooks for Sealion on the Alt Hist possibilities for the Byzantines . (NB: some of the real life Byzantine rulers of both sexes will be appearing in my...
  6. H

The way that the Turkish invasions of or raids across Anatolia pre-Manzikert developed show that it was more of a general exploratory movement by semi-autonomous tribal groups 'testing the waters' for exploiting a weak Byzantine response, and if possible settling in Byzantine territory, than...
  7. H

WI : The Vivaldi brothers successfully circumnavigate Africa

There is a story that was recorded by Herodotus in the fifth century BC (he was a citizen of what is now SW Turkey near Bodrum, then a Greek state near the Achaemenid Persian empire's border in W Anatolia, and travelled across the Middle East as far as Egypt))of an attempted Persian...
  8. H

The Reign of Emperor Pertinax

Clodius Albinus had stronger personal links to the elite than Septimius Severus, also being from a North African resident family of Italian origins and equestrian not senatorial descent/ rank but having served in more senior and crucial posts under Commodus than him. Had he either been in a...
  9. H

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 1.

You can try the method of creating an Alt Hist cultural or political situation that does not look like it's got any modern relevance but in fact has a lot of relevance, by drawing in modern parallels , to expand the number of people who will be interested. For instance, I've tried the theme of...
  10. H

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 1.

I will be watching how this develops with interest; the main problem I have faced as a published AH author has been of publisher after publisher claiming that doing lesser-known periods of history s 'too risky' or 'too niche'. Any way round this commercial tilt in production and publication is...
  11. H

What if no Islamic Revolution in Iran, regional and global consequences?

There might be a Juan Carlos situation if the regime has already been shaken by large but not terminal riots and mass strikes hitting the economy, which do not spiral into outright rebellion as there are a lower number of flashpoints plus a more hesitant (as he is having drastic medical...
  12. H

WI : Richard Lionheart dies in Cyprus

You can also do a 'What If' with huge butterflies based on the premise that either the King of Jerusalem Amalric I, father to Sibylla and (by a different, Byzantine wife) to Isabella, does not die as in OTL in 1174 - when he was aged under 40 and had had a vigorous and militarily competent...
  13. H

WI : Richard Lionheart dies in Cyprus

If Richard is killed in a skirmish in Cyprus or has the same sort of fate as in OTL, ie shot by a crossbow bolt during the siege of some castle or town, then presumably John has no real challenger as his late elder brother Geoffrey (k 1186)'s posthumous son, Arthur, Duke of Brittany, is only...
  14. H

Would the Tripartite Identure have been possible or viable?

I've covered the issues regarding the Tripartite Indenture in one of the chapters of my Alternative History of Britain: The Hundred Years War (Pen and Sword, 2013). Briefly, I don't think a formal division of the state of England between three equally ranked powers - Owain Glyndwr to have all...
  15. H

No Mongol Empire?

Russia was already deeply divided between a series of more or less equal-resourced princedoms run by shifting alliances of princes within the Rurykid dynasty (and a few non-dynasts) well before the Mongols arrived in 1220 for one attack on the steppelands of the lower Don and the main invasion...
  16. H

POD Cast. October 14, 1066

I imagine that unless a prolonged stand-off developed between two major powers with their primary interests outside the British Isles - eg William controlling the South as far as the Humber and Dee but having to rule Normandy too and not having enough troops to take York, plus the Norwegians...
  17. H

POD Cast. October 14, 1066

I've gone into the questions of the events of 1066 - from the accession of Harold not the legitimate dynastic heir Edgar Atheling to succeed Edward the Confessor on 5 January to the battle on 14 October - in detail in the final chapter of my 2013 Pen and Sword book 'An Alternative History of...
  18. H

Edward Seymour’s War on Scotland Is Won

in practical terms, as England lacked a large army at this date - apart from a few Royal Court residential regiments and the Calais garrison it had to raise levies of 'volunteers' for specific and fairly short time-periods from contractors in each county, usually great noblemen - it could not...
  19. H

Christian Circassians

An interesting one, which can be linked to some of my own Byzantine 'what ifs' in its origins - a weaker Moslem military and overlordship presence in the Caucasus over centuries would logically have resulted in less of a motive to convert as there would be less of an appeal for linking up to the...
  20. H

Norse Greenland survives and Danish-Norwegian colonization of North America

One alternative way to get more settlers in Norse Greenland in the fairly warm early C11th, and then either a useful timber/ fur-trade base in Nova Scotia/ Labrador/ the St. Lawrence valley a little later, is to up the ante on current politico-military crises in Norway. That could push...
Back