• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. G

Independent Tannu Tuva

I recently found out that what is now the Republic of Tuva in Asian Russia used to be an independent state (the People's Republic of Tannu Tuva) between 1921 and 1943. However, Stalin absorbed it into the Russian SSR in the latter year, with the rank of Autonomous Oblast rather than as a...
  2. G

Greek Minorca in modern times

I was reading Abulafia’s The Boundless Sea and he mentions that there was a plan to people Minorca with Greek settlers during the British domination of the island in the 18th century. After some research, it looks like that was indeed the case, though he exaggerates a bit its scope. Assuming...
  3. G

Alternate London boroughs and geographies

The history of the capital fascinates me, and so do the several proposals for the reorganisation of the boroughs and administrative areas within it (peak forumenergy this one). I was reading at the moment about what went behind the scenes at the Herbert Commission that created the GLA in the...
  4. G

Corbyn PODs

Now that the man is stepping down, what are good/interesting PODs throughout his nearly five years at the helm? Not getting enough signatures to get into the ballot in 2015 is probably the biggest one, but how about ones that make him leave earlier, or win any of the two general elections that...
  5. G

WI: Ken Livingstone wins the 2012 London Mayoral election

Nowadays, Ken Livingstone’s legacy is severely tarnished by his bigoted comments about the Jewish community, but 15 years ago he was one of the most popular and powerful politicians in the country, a man who was able to defeat the two main major parties in an important election running as an...
Back