• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. N

Mazda's Maps and Mwikiboxes

Yeah, so many Basques moved to the Americas and became the upper crust of society there (probably because all Biscay people were automatically hidalgos and had an easier time moving as administrators), it’s kind of wild. And Batlle is very very much a Catalan surname
  2. N

Max's election maps and assorted others

Honestly, I think it's worth uploading on Wikipedia.
  3. N

Max, not sure what's happened but some of the older maps (like the Austro-Hungarian electoral results, or the A-H demographic map) are now missing, just so you know.
  4. N

Sounds to me like Russians should have ditched their Windows system and gone Apple. And now that I have that joke out of my system, very very impressive!
  5. N

Nanwe's Maps and Graphics Thread

In the meantime, have 1898 (description on the works). 1898 was the sole election in which universal suffrage was used in Cuba and Puerto Rico, after the granting of the Charters of Autonomy (basically turning Cuba and Puerto Rico into something similar to British Dominions except with...
  6. N

While I keep on working on Spanish elections, I think I'll map 1919 French legislative elections, mostly because the electoral system was peculiar. So usually, in the collective mindset, the electoral system used was proportional representation for the first time in France's history, right...
  7. N

PM's Election Maps And Stuff Thread

Closed list with 6-10 members per district has been a pretty common approach in the past for this kind of conservative implementation of PR. Or semi-closed lists (where you can bump up people within a list, or just vote for it as is, but not modify it willy-nilly as you can with panachage or...
  8. N

PM's Election Maps And Stuff Thread

I mean, at least from my vision as a Spaniard, is that by introducing a closed list system, you are closing off any personal accountability of an MP to their electors (whether that is a thing or not) and D'Hont and such small magnitude districts can be brutal. You are right, that STV and bloc...
  9. N

And now for the Senate (which given it's a more complex image, I have some doubts about the positioning of the legend and the various special colleges
  10. N

Did the map of the 1910 election to get a feeling of the new map for the post-1898 situation (plus various boundary changes in Seville, Huelva, Barcelona and the Canary Islands). Coincidentally, 1910 was probably the last time the Restauración party system was stable, as the ousting of Maura and...
  11. N

Yeah, in Spain, the universities were secularised in the early 19th century, and some of the original religious ones were moved (like how the university in Alcalá de Henares, founded in 1483, was moved to Madrid and renamed 'Central University' by decree) and so the organisation was organised by...
  12. N

So they weren't elected by the graduates but also not appointed per se by the university. Instead, the professors of the university (which itself headed the university district) together with the directors of any other secondary or higher education institution within their district elected...
  13. N

Threadmarks: 1896 Spanish General Election

1896 Spanish General Election [Note: I have decided, in style with the contemporary press, not to refer to the followers of Práxedes Mateo-Sagasta, or the Liberal-Fusionist Party, as ‘liberals’ but as ‘fusionist(s)’ after the first mention, for clarity’s sake.] Having come to power in 1892 by...
  14. N

So (and this is why the description isn't finished)... the 1893-95 Sagasta cabinets had to face off with an explosion of problems - from indeed the re-start, after the 1878-93 period, of the Cuban rebellion, plus the rebellion in the Philippines, as well as a huge tax revolt in Navarra (the...
  15. N

Threadmarks: 1896 Spanish General Election (Congress)

1896 Spanish General Election - description incoming. For this election, the districts in León and Zamora were slightly modified to create one new district in each province in order to be able to create safe seats for local magnates, whereas in Vizcaya, the map was modified as well to create...
  16. N

And now the upper chamber's elective part:
  17. N

Oddly enough (cos I did check) nope, I think they want cohesion with modern maps but considering how different the electoral map was it’s a bit odd, but the guy has plans to upload seat-by-seat articles I’m so I guess he’s quite invested in the colour scheme. So agreed, I will try to find a...
  18. N

After talking to the wikipedist who has been improving articles from the era, here's a much more simplified/cleaner version of the map, also with a simple colour scheme - they were oddly insistent about that. I'm also doubtful about how hard it is to distinguish Possibilist republicans and...
  19. N

Part of the issue is that in this system, where you wrote down the MP's name when voting for them, you could have (and did have) uncontested elections where the winner would only get 70% of the vote due to the large number of write-in for politicians who were not actually running in the seat...
  20. N

And here it is, wikipedia-style:
Back