• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

Least favorite alt-history story?

Oh boy, Tom's really taking inspiration from current events huh?
  2. R

Tom Kratman is on AH.com now?
  3. R

Decisive Confederate Victory at Chickamauga

Very interesting. I had no idea that the Third French Empire was considering the matter of intervention so seriously. I knew the thought had been tossed around by a few British politicians with ties to big business but nevertheless it makes sense why France might have a stake in the game, their...
  4. R

Decisive Confederate Victory at Chickamauga

While I'm not entirely sure that Federal forces would have been routed completely, I would agree with Powell that Bragg had an opportunity to, at the very least, severely damage the Army of the Cumberland past any sense of Combat Effectiveness. It would likely be a demoralising defeat, though...
  5. R

I've been off disaster Russia timelines just because it might hit a little too close to home in the immediate future
  6. R

Free to pursue imperial ambitions without perfidious Albion hogging the wealth.
  7. R

Harrison's trilogy was an entire series of "What if England was entirely a nation of Blackadder family members, also Wales, Scotland, and parts of Ireland are Baldrick" and America was an entire nation of Calvinist Duke Nukems. I can't help but love the damn thing in spite of how ridiculous...
  8. R

Oh boy another badass Confederacy Fanfic, I hope the pairing is CSA/France!
  9. R

Every time I think I'm getting old I think back to soc.history.what.if and remember that some of you bastards are so old you had kids that fought at Verdun
  10. R

That's fair and I think we all know that it's silly to bring up arguments like mine if you're in a historical debate or publishing an article to be judged by peers, but I was coming at it from more of a philisophical standpoint since Walter Bagehot was arguing in a similar fashion. For what...
  11. R

yeah I'm seeing a lot of words but the proof is in the pudding sir, no "well actually" here, especially since this is referring specifically to Bagehot. Seriously though, and I know I sound a bit rude but... what exactly is the point of quoting me here? I'm not championing the infinite wisdom...
  12. R

And even in our time, present-day Athens is the Capital of the Modern Greek nation-state with a population of four million, and is one of the most beloved cities in Modern Europe for tourism and archaeological/historical practices, as well as a large economic hub for the Eastern Mediterranean...
  13. R

I... good lord I wasn't even being clever there. the Lizard brain just made a subconscious smart guy maneuver.
  14. R

I say this as a guy who loves all that theme park machismo (Kratos, supersoldiers in Halo called Spartans, military tattoos of the Spartan Lambda... of which I have one of... The whole array of badass horseshit) but it's amazing how fucking good the PR department was for Sparta in the wake of...
  15. R

I will say that I agreed with the article regarding Eric Von Shrakenberg. If there's anything I found compelling about the Draka it was him. The struggle of being a decent human being in an evil and all encompassing system that demands the individual's participation in it's actions is one that...
  16. R

I'm not a fan of them myself. They struck me too much like as being a human version of the Kree from Marvel but with no superheroes to stop them. I enjoy some of Stirling's work in spite of all it's problems (The Peshawar Lancers is a fucking melting pot of toxicity and gross takes but I...
  17. R

I wasn't around for the era when Sterling was active on places like this, I imagine that must have been... interesting.
  18. R

Oh sure, but the Draka series is probably the one IP of his where it doesn't apply outside of situational elements in the novels (hence why I mentioned the depictions of rape and the portrayal of Lesbians) if we wanna talk about other works like his Emberverse stuff than yeah I totally agree...
  19. R

this is my problems with the Draka to a T. I think some people wrongly conflate Sterling's own beliefs with those depicted in his books, if only because I'd think Sterling would put more visible effort into something if he actually believed in it's subject matter. The Draka is a smorgasbord of...
Back