• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

What happens to Australia if transportation continues to British North America?

I don't think transportation to America could continue indefinitely. Eventually, the British will either have to grant responsible government to the colonies or be thrown out by a revolt.
  2. M

Non-Trek SF Worldbuilding: Red Dwarf

It's interesting how Red Dwarf combines a light tone with an astonishingly bleak setting. Quite similar to Hitchiker's Guide in that respect.
  3. M

Alternate History General Discussion

Why were there so many TLs about the 2010 general election and then none about any of the subsequent general elections?
  4. M

Least favorite alt-history story?

B_Munro is still around and still making maps.
  5. M

I mean, Soviet victories aren't as common as nazi victories (what is?) but they're far from absent. Off the top of my head, there's Turtledove's The Gladiator, one of the GURPS Infinite Worlds scenarios, the short story The West is Red, an episode of Sliders and I'm sure there must be others.
  6. M

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 19: Charting the New* Frontier

It was a genuine idea but I don't think it got very far before Enterprise being cancelled killed it.
  7. M

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 19: Charting the New* Frontier

Would have been interesting if RTD had managed to pull off the ENT crossover he was planning.
  8. M

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 17: Early Video Games (and non-video Games)

Reminds me of a lot of Doctor Who games. In particular 1992's Dalek Attack, where the famously pacifist Doctor just runs around blowing stuff up.
  9. M

From here.
  10. M

WI: The Cold War never ended? What would be the impacts on Pop Culture, Technology, and World Politics?

Also the fear of nuclear annihilation wouldn't fade nearly as much as it did OTL, which probably means a lot more grim, mutant populated wastelands in sci-fi.
  11. M

Lesser-Known Near-Deaths and Near-Misses

There was that incident in 1973 when both Nixon and Brezhnev were in a car that stood a good chance of crashing.
  12. M

I hate to just dismiss an entire genre but the very concept of a self-insert story strikes me as deeply narcissistic.
  13. M

I think a lot of TLs do have planned endings (even if it's just "stop writing when I reach the present day") they just never get finished. Like pretty much every form of serialized internet fiction, TLs have a strong tendency to end because their author stopped working on them for whatever reason.
  14. M

On Marvel's 'What If...?' as Alternate History

Reminds me of that one really early Batman comic where Robin gets Jerry Siegel's autograph.
  15. M

Fiction Friction: But What If Your Reboot Sucks?

Reboots would seem to have fallen out of fashion recently, at least in Hollywood, probably because some recent examples have ended by being poorly received. The trends these days are either to do a soft reboot, or, most recently what has been described as a "requel", where part but not all of...
  16. M

Is it just me or is the world of The Two Georges actually pretty dystopian? It seems that, aside from the Anglosphere, the entire planet is either ruled by repressive absolute monarchies or under colonial rule.
  17. M

That sort of thing is old enough for Orwell to comment on it.
  18. M

The postwar stuff basically just exists because people kept asking what would happen next. Which is also why the war stuff exists- the original plan for AANW was just to describe Europe under the Nazis and never go into the specifics of their eventual defeat. It's a case of audience demand...
  19. M

George Galloway's Queensway

I wonder if he'll do a Turtledove and have a Blair expy as the leading collaborator.
  20. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

It's not actually Halloween yet but what the hell. American Politics is a Horrorshow Based on this scenario. 1961-1965 John F. Kennedy (Democratic) (1) 1965- 1973 Richard Nixon (Republican) (2) 1973 Milton McGuire (Republican) (3) 1973-1977 Barry Goldwater (Republican) (4) 1977-1981 Ernest...
Back