• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. J

Yiddish Policemen’s Union by the Coen Brother’s

Zahn McClarnon is probably closest to my image of Berko Shemets, and has the comedic chops but hadn't had any major roles by 2011.
  2. J

Yiddish Policemen’s Union by the Coen Brother’s

Jason Isaacs is far too pretty to be Meyer Landsman.
  3. J

Alternate History General Discussion

Catch wrestling was widespread before the Civil War, so there's that at least. Wrestling in the South has a rather weird history with integration and honestly I think that is likely to be one of the biggest variables- a surviving CSA will likely be even more race-conscious than OTL's American...
  4. J

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

See, this one is an interesting one because ITA wasn't meant to be a spelling reform wholesale but a pedagogical tool- it just wasn't/isn't very good for that, as the ability to spell things in ITA doesn't really translate to being able to spell them in standard English. I think scenarios like...
  5. J

WI: Teleprinters instead of telephones?

I think storage is exactly what is missing from this comparison- telephones weren't printing out an acetate of every voice message, unlike the teleprinters here.
  6. J

Well, that's the thing- the fronts described in Book 1 all move quite a bit more than their European equivalents (the Confederates get pushed back to Maryland from Pennsylvania in the first year of campaigning) and they make it quite clear that they are very different from the areas still able...
  7. J

I'm revisiting Turtledove's Southern Victory and while I think it suffers from a great many things (Turtledove's workmanlike prose, too many viewpoint characters, a bit too much reliance on OTL people where it doesn't make sense) Turtledove does a lot right. The dilemma of Featherston and the...
  8. J

How badly would Britain be affected in the 18th to 19th century if Ireland becomes an independent republic?

I believe I saw here or at The Other Place an independent Ireland (perhaps Jacobite) which still had the Great Famine*, because that regime still had the same incentives to prioritize food exports and a political system which still advantaged landholders. Changes the historiography quite a bit...
  9. J

How badly would Britain be affected in the 18th to 19th century if Ireland becomes an independent republic?

The biggest impact would be shattering the illusion of security Britain had from foreign invasion during the time period, assuming an independent Ireland is hostile and aligned against them. Ireland was thoroughly depopulated following the Irish Potato Famine. It still isn't even up to that...
  10. J

Comic Corner: Captain Britain (Moore/Davis)

I would actually love to see an article on this- like skiffle and the roots of British rock'n'roll, my understanding is that post-WW2 British comics were buoyed by cultural protectionism.
  11. J

Mobile Canal if no Louisiana Purchase

One big thing is that the Florida Parishes were not acquired as part of the Louisiana Purchase. I'm personally of the opinion that if you get a successful US, it is probably eventually going to take New Orleans, by force, if necessary. There probably aren't many scenarios where France will...
  12. J

GOTS: No South African Contact?

I don't know if maybe there is a language barrier or what, but this is nonsensical within the context of American constitutional law and English common law. I would strongly recommend you go read the actual text of the Confederate Constitution. Here's an example from the text which directly...
  13. J

You're being intentionally obtuse given that you used the word banned (which is not what the source you are citing says) and you used a completely different argument than in the text you cited but also apparently you do need to be told what happened between 1861 and 1869. An 1869 legal opinion...
  14. J

You are misrepresenting and misinterpreting what is written even when you directly post from a text. This is a pattern that you consistently do across topics on this forum. The text you cite does not say that the Confederate Constitution prohibited secession. It did not in fact, do that, and the...
  15. J

You're citing the Preamble that also talks about an Almighty God? That is not a prohibition against secession by any state from the Confederacy, in any way, shape or form and presenting it as some kind of historical fact is very, very misleading. The full thing reads: We, the people of the...
  16. J

The CSA did not ban secession in their Constitution. There were attempts to put an explicit right to secession and to nullification in the Confederate Constitution which were tabled, but there is no section of the Confederate Constitution which prohibits secession by the states of the Confederacy.
  17. J

Hilary in 2016: how does COVID go?

Trump's only one man; the rot is within the GOP, their institutions and their demographics. He was a follower, not a leader on Covid paranoia, so not having him at the top may help but it's delusional to think the GOP wouldn't have latched on to anti-anti-Covid policies- they would have the...
  18. J

IOTL 19 states have done so. You need 34.
  19. J

I've seen this bandied about but honestly, the Republican Party IOTL hasn't shown enough aptitude at internal politics or parliamentary maneuver that I severely doubt it would have happened. They just aren't that good at doing things.
  20. J

What would a Bernie in 2016 Presidency look like?

McGinty was outperformed by Clinton. Feingold had a difference of 2000 votes over Clinton. Kander is the one here that appreciably outperformed Clinton, but its far from clear that a candidate who was to the left of Clinton would have increased the chances of red state Democrats (the opposite is...
Back