• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. F

Delayed Reconquista led by France

Potentially interesting scenario. Imagine the Umayyads had solidified control over all of Iberia, with no Kingdom of Asturias emerging. I imagine that all other history being roughly similar, sooner or later there would be an attempt at something similar to the Reconquista– but in this case, it...
  2. F

[ASB] Sea level drops by 50 metres in the early 20th century

Inspired by the novel Flood by Stephen Baxter, but in the other direction... Let us imagine that over a ten year period between the year 1900 and 1910 or so, the global sea level gradually drops by around 50 metres and then stabilizes at the new level. The drop starting off slowly, then...
  3. F

Queen Victoria dies in 1835

Wikipedia casually mentions in passing, at Ramsgate in October 1835, Victoria contracted a severe fever, which Conroy initially dismissed as a childish pretence Let us say that her illness is a little worse and she passes away from it. This would have dramatic consequences. William IV, the...
  4. F

What if John Smith dies four years later?

Let us say John Smith gets his fatal heart attack in 1998 instead of 1994. Suddenly a relatively new and popular Labour government is faced with a leadership election, with Margaret Beckett presumably serving as PM on an interim basis. I expect it's quite possible Tony Blair still goes for the...
  5. F

What if Piggate along with evidence came out in the run-up to the 2010 general election?

Imagine David Cameron's pig incident comes out in the campaign for the 2010 general election, let's say a few days after the first televised debate, and that there's photo/video evidence of its veracity leaked. How much does a personal scandal with the Tories' leader such as this damage the...
  6. F

What if the results of the 1970 Pakistan election were respected?

In reality, Pakistani president Yahya Khan refused to accept the East Pakistan-based election winner, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, as Prime Minister, and this was one of the catalysts of the Bangladeshi war of independence. What if Khan had instead been convinced to accept the election results and...
  7. F

WI: UKIP elects a bunch of MPs in 2015?

The Theresa May thread got me thinking about other points of divergence in mid-2010s British politics, and I'm wondering how British politics in the last seven years would be affected in the event of UKIP getting some MPs in 2015, thanks to better-concentrated campaigning or something. As well...
Back