• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. A

The Alternate Lavender Isle. Guest: Ryan Fleming.

Thanks for this Ryan, most of the titles were not ones I was familiar with so I've got my reading list for Christmas! ;)
  2. A

How valid is this costing of a Dover/Calais causeway - when built by the Romans?

Thanks for everyone's reply. Appreciate the thought that went into all of them. Andrew
  3. A

Book Nook: The Flashman Series, by George MacDonald Fraser

Thanks for the review David, I read it with interest. I have to admit that I wasn't aware of either the author's views, or Flashman's obvious nastiness. I quite enjoyed the two or three of the books I had read when I was much younger, but then I had also enjoyed the Gor books. With my present...
  4. A

How valid is this costing of a Dover/Calais causeway - when built by the Romans?

Thanks for your feedback, LSCatilina. your question about the stability of the Rhine Frontier is a good one, fortunately I can play around with that as the POD for the line is some 7000BC in the North American Continent. Your concern is helpful as I hadn't thought about that, and it opens up a...
  5. A

I've estimated what it might have cost an early Roman Emperor to build a causeway from Calais to Dover and would appreciate any feedback people might have on the estimate, and how much I might be out by. And yes I am aware that the bigger question is 'why would they want to?' but I've already...
  6. A

The War of the Worlds in Real Time - Week 4

Following Queen Victoria's death on 22 January 1900, Edward's coronation had originally been scheduled for 26 June 1901. However, the coronation had to be delayed when two days before, he had been diagnosed with appendicitis. The disease was generally not treated operatively. It carried a high...
  7. A

Today: 'Postscript and After-words' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells While bidding farewell to those who have shared their lives with us over the past month, we should remember that many of those who survived the Martian invasion would continue to suffer its...
  8. A

Today Wednesday 30 June 1897 'Reunions' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells Wells, back in his own mind, and taking advantage of the free trains running from Waterloo, returns to Woking to be reunited with his wife. While Toni receives word from her friend (Well’s...
  9. A

Ukraine Write-a-thon Report

I would like to thanks those who organised and attended. I had a great time, and was able to donate to a good cause.
  10. A

Today Tuesday 29 June 1897 'To Commemorate Victory Over the Martians' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells 'To Commemorate Victory Over the Martians' As the Daily Mail resumes publication with a special commemorative edition, Wells recovers sufficiently to bid...
  11. A

Today Monday 28 June 1897 'The Queen Mourns' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells As HG Wells wanders through London in a fugue, the city begins to return to life around him. Today the Queen attends a service in Balmoral to mourn those lost. And for Toni, this is...
  12. A

Today Sunday 27 June 1897 'The Army Moves South to Restore Order' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells With the news that the Martian’s are dead, the army moves south to restore order, even as Queen Victoria acts to seize and protect all Martian artifacts by...
  13. A

Today Saturday 26 June 1897 'The Cost of Deliverance' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells Despite the momentous events of the preceding day, Toni and Grace have no time to spend sitting around. There are too many people still needing help. Apart from a brief...
  14. A

Today Friday 25 June 1897 'Cry: Ulla, Ulla, Ulla' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells Today, we follow Wells (to some extent a victim of the Martians) as he passes through the heart of an apparently dead London, witnessed only by the mournful cry of ‘Ulla Ulla Ulla’...
  15. A

Today Thursday 24 June 1897 'A Meeting of Future Enemies' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells On the edge of Wimbledon Common Wells meets the artilleryman he first met at Woking so many days before. The artilleryman has not seen any Martians for 5 days and they...
  16. A

Today Wednesday 23 June 1897 'Wells Escapes the House' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells Wells is drawn out of the house he had been imprisoned in Sheen by the sight of a dog fossicking around the Martian pit. Over the course of the day we follow his progress...
  17. A

Today Tuesday 22 June 1897 'A Deserted London' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells The reduction in the number of Martians patrolling London allows the NUWSS hospital to open quietly (see photograph). Red weed continues to choke the streets, and people still have to...
  18. A

The 1897 War of the Worlds in Real Time Posted throughout June at http://wotw.name https://haguepublishing.com/Wo... and on twitter at https://twitter.com/1897WotW And can I just say that on behalf of the team (Michael, Leonie, Ken, HG, and myself) we are so glad to have reached this point, and...
  19. A

War of the Worlds in Real Time - Week 3

Today Monday 21 June 1897 'Wells' Slow Recovery' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells Wells continues to slowly build up his strength prior to leaving from the house he has now been confined to for 13 days. Toni’s diary chronicles an epic journey from Queen Anne’s...
  20. A

War of the Worlds in Real Time - Week 3

Today Sunday 20 June 1897 'The Martian's Camp on Hampstead Heath' #alternatehistory #althistory #scifi #TheWarOfTheWorlds #hgwells From a historical perspective, we are beginning to see that determination, organisation, and competence, lead to results that have far reaching consequences. As...
Back