• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. C

WI: Robespierre and the Jacobins Retain Power?

There was a discussion on this on the other site, and there wasn’t really much fruitful discussion, so I’m hoping that there would be a bit more here. So, how would people here think it would look like? Someone once said that a likely course is that the Thermidorians would have been smeared...
  2. C

How badly would Britain be affected in the 18th to 19th century if Ireland becomes an independent republic?

Not really interested in the question of plausibility, but more of a thought experiment. Say, around the late 18th to very early 19th century, Ireland manages to break free of Britain and take the entirety of the country with them, how much would Britain be affected by that? I think I heard...
  3. C

What would a successful May 1968 look like?

I apologize for my extremely surface understanding of the events, I’m not very privy to the details of what happened. As far as I know, the protests were led by students, which eventually spiraled into a nation-wide strike. De Gaulle apparently had to flee, and when elections came around, the...
  4. C

WI: A Gradual Abolition of Slavery in France?

Reading up on the attitudes of 18th century French abolitionist, what always comes up is that none of them were for a wholesale abolition of slavery. Not Condorcet or even the Abbe Gregoire who thought that the black slaves were not yet worthy of citizenship or civilization and at most, they...
  5. C

WI: The Early Haiti Slave Revolt is More Successful?

As mentioned above, the early leaders of the slave revolt, unlike Toussaint and the rest of his faction, were decidedly against the plantation system, so that has me thinking, what if they were more successful. What if the aforermentioned early revolt became a bigger success than it was? How...
  6. C

Was the Russian Empire unsalvageable?

I was speaking to someone who knew a hell of a lot on Russian history and he is firmly convinced that the Russian Empire as it was throughout the years was unsalvageable. The functional literacy rate never went beyond 10%, the notables of the empire were more concerned with lording over the...
  7. C

WI: Hitler Brings Back the Monarchy?

Apparently, the prospective Kaiser had the idea that Hitler would've brought him back to the throne and initially supported him because of that idea. If he wasn't wrong on that front, would it actually have been possible? Was Hitler actually capable of bringing back the monarchy? Would there be...
  8. C

The French Revolution Without Robespierre

Going back to my old hobby here, something that I wonder about is, what if there was no Robespierre? Assuming that he didn't manage to become a deputy, it leaves one wondering about the revolution going forward without him. Despite how connected he is to the revolution, I just feel like not...
  9. C

AHC: Consequences of Abolishing the National Health Service

With the Health Service seemingly being the one institute every one in Britain loves, an idea that’s been running around in my head is, what if it was straight up abolishes? How long would the government last if they were to do that? Would people be rioting outside Westminster?
  10. C

WI: Plato’s The Republic Applied in Real Life.

In honor of me having to read the work of Plato for college, I propose the question of, what if his ideas were implemented wholesale? Just trying as much as possible to stick to what he said in The Republic. What would that regime look like?
  11. C

The French Revolution and Islam Without the Egyptian Invasion.

This is something that has peaked my interest after I’ve read a few books on it. Surprisingly enough, despite the belief of how xenophobic the French revolution became, they were actually rather amiable to Muslims, with the Committee of Public Safety and a majority of its members all deciding to...
  12. C

Best Alternate History Stories.

Since I’ve been made aware that I can be rather pessimistic and apparently read lots of bad alternate history, I’d try and name some of the best ones I can think of. The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation: In this timeline, Ricky Steamboat becomes WWF...
  13. C

WI: The 18th Brumaire Coup Attempt Fails?

This interests me because there are a lot of factors and fun people to play around with. Apparently, Dubois-Crance was one of the few people who actually took the rumors of a coup seriously and actually advocated that Napoleon be arrested when on his way to Saint-Cloud and shot. Perhaps Augereau...
  14. C

How would France without Napoleon handle Haiti?

I read in a book that Napoleon was somewhat special in that his counsel on how to deal with Haiti was immediately filled with people who advocated a return to slavery, not that Josephine whispered in his ear, whom apparently was already being flattered by Toussaint, who knew about her family’s...
  15. C

Effects of a Successful 1796 French Invasion of Ireland?

This has been discussed before and I’m interested in getting a feel of what people here thinks will happen if Hoche manages to land his more than 10K men in Ireland. Do they think he’ll succeed? Create a Hibernian Republic? Just cause general mayhem for the British? What about the British...
  16. C

WI: Robespierre Gets Assassinated Before the War?

This is something that just popped into my head and I can’t quite get it out. What if, like Jean Jaures more than a century later, Robespierre is assassinated before France gets into one of the most deadly wars of their century? This interests me because one of the most recognizable figures in...
  17. C

What Are Some Interesting PODs For The French Revolution?

I’ve heard a lot about the royal family successfully reaching Montmedy or the Girondins triumphing, but I want some more original or obscure ideas. Like, what if, as some wished in the Estates-General, a bicameral legislature managed to be installed? What if Mirabeau managed to get his way...
  18. C

Was A Party System During The French Directory Possible?

I've been really fixated on Isser Woloch's Jacobin Legacy: The Democratic Movement Under the Directory and one thing he believes is that, aside from the Jacobins, or in this case, democrats, not being as dead as previously believed, he also states that they were in the process of forming a true...
  19. C

AHC: Proto-Fascist French Monarchy

The challenge here is to have a French monarchy practice something close to OTL Fascist policies. Perhaps the greatest chance of that would be with the Legitimists? I heard that they were the most right wing of the monarchists, but any monarch from them to the Bonapartes work.
  20. C

WI: A Successful Flight to Montmédy?

IOTL, before the royal family and their entourage got stopped at Varennes, their original destination was supposed to be at Montmedy, a royalist stronghold near the border to the Austrian Netherlands. Louis XVI claimed that he was going there as to be able to freely state his true opinions and...
Back