• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. S

WI: Lord Rothermere & Beaverbrook's 'United Empire Party' get their way...?

So, for this hypothetical scenario, let's say that ITTL, the United Empire Party- bankrolled by press barons Lord Rothermere (the hilarously appropriately named Harold Harmsworth, who owned the Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Evening News, Sunday Dispatch and several other publications, who was at the...
  2. S

BCS for the Kingdom of Haiti?

Let's say that in this TL, Henri Christophe either doesn't suffer that stroke which he suffered in August 1820 IOTL, or that said stroke is significantly milder than it was IOTL (in which it critically weakened him, rendering the entirety of the right side of his body completely paralyzed, and...
  3. S

WI: Viceroy Hardinge assassinated in Dec 1912?

The 'Delhi Conspiracy', also known as the Delhi-Lahore Conspiracy, was hatched by underground Indian revolutionaries in both Bengal and the Punjab, supported by Indian expatriates, and headed by Rash Behari Bose, with this conspiracy culminating in the attempted assassination of the then-Viceroy...
  4. S

BCS for 'German India' in my TL?

In the Sikh Empire TL I was working on, (though the last entry got eaten up and erased by an internet D/C bug just when I attempted to post it, a few months ago now; with the frustration I felt about this, combined with the general lack of interest in it, driving me to finally give up on any...
  5. S

WI: Spain expelled the Moriscos to the New World?

Mentioned previously on a different thread, but figured this might merit a thread of its own, so here it is. IOTL, Moroccan settlement of the current United States began with Estebanico Al Azemmouri (also called Estevanico), the first African to explore North America- a Muslim Moroccan of Gnawa...
  6. S

WI: The Napoleonic feasibility study for the Suez Canal gets their measurements right?

IOTL, During the French campaign in Egypt and Syria in late 1798, Napoleon employed a cadre of archaeologists, scientists, cartographers and engineers to mount an expedition to the remains of the ancient Canal of the Pharaohs, built by Necho II between the River Nile and Suez Gulf and improved...
  7. S

WI: WW2 (1922-?)- The Chanak Crisis goes hot?

The Chanak Crisis, also called the Chanak Affair and the Chanak Incident, was a war scare in September 1922 between the United Kingdom and the Government of the Grand National Assembly in Turkey. Chanak refers to Çanakkale, a city on the Anatolian side of the Dardanelles Strait. The crisis was...
  8. S

AHC: Native Majority Oceania after 1642

Prompted by Lerk's thread, but asking the same question about the possibility of a Native Majority Oceania (ideally, ~75% or more), after the arrival of Abel Janszoon Tasman's voyage in 1642. On the face of it, at least IMHO, this seems like a far easier and more plausibly doable challenge than...
  9. S

WI: Bering Dam constructed to "Melt the Arctic"?

American Charles P. Steinmetz (1865–1923) proposed to widen the Bering Strait by removing St. Lawrence Island and parts of Seward and Chukotski Peninsulas; creating a strait 320km wide, with the express purpose of letting the Japan Current through and melting the Arctic Ocean. And in 1956, the...
  10. S

Best Case For ASEAN?

ASEAN's fared pretty well already IOTL, all things considered; with a total area of 4,522,518 km2 and an estimated total population of about 668 million, it has some of the fastest growing economies in the world, maintains a global network of alliances and dialogue partners, and is considered by...
  11. S

WI: 1934 Anglo-Japanese Non-Aggression Pact gets signed

After Japan withdrew from the League Of Nations in 1933, it didn't reject the concept of international cooperation, but instead made overtures to several other nations outside the League's framework. And the nation which it made the greatest effort to court was that with which it had forged its...
  12. S

WI: An Alternate MCU, starting with 'Dazzler' (1980)?

'Dazzler' may well be one of Marvel's obscure and unknown heroines, but she does have an extremely intriguing history behind her. Dazzler's inception came about by way of a multi-media project, with Casablanca Records approaching Marvel about the creation of a disco-themed superhero; Marvel...
  13. S

WI: 1901 Jodhpur ISOTed to Australia?

Here's one of those very random ISOT maps which I edited back in the day, originally intended for use over on The Other Place, but which I don't think I ever used; stumbled across it again today when going through old files, and wondered what you guys might make of it: So then, here's the...
  14. S

WI: Hyderabadi Hadramaut?

The vast majority of Hadramaut (a region in South Arabia, comprising eastern Yemen, parts of western Oman and southern Saudi Arabia), was ruled by the Qu'aiti Sultanate, and fell under a loose British protectorate, the Aden Protectorate, from 1882 to 1967; at which point, the Hadhramaut was...
  15. S

AHC: Best Case Scenario for the Prazeiros

The Prazos were large estates leased or granted to colonists, settlers and traders in Portuguese Africa; intended to exploit the continent's resources, guarantee control over the land, stimulate agricultural production, facilitate European settlement and be a source of revenue for the...
  16. S

How would India have fared under S.C. Bose's continued leadership?

So ITTL, let's say that Subhas Chandra Bose's faction won out in his power struggle with the Gandhi-led clique in the Congress Working Committee, enabling him to retain his presidency over the Indian National Congress (rather than being forced to resign from the Congress Presidency in April...
  17. S

WI: 'Papuan Rice' Domesticated?

A little thing I previously brought up in my last post on the AHC/PC: Could New Guinea believably be the most populous island on Earth? thread (which I would've liked to hear back from @Jared about, but c'est la vie)- there are 19 recognized species of rice in the Orzya genus, of which 6...
  18. S

WI: USA goes to war with Japan in 1937?

What happened IOTL: A major reason that the Chinese army held onto the besieged city of Shanghai as long as it did, even though it was on the brink of collapse, was that China was hoping for Western intervention in the Sino-Japanese War. Western nations had been paying little attention to...
  19. S

WI: British Purchase California in 1841?

During the Spanish colonial era, the Californias (i.e, the Baja California peninsula and Alta California) were sparsely settled. After Mexico became independent, it shut down the missions and reduced its military presence. And the British minister in Mexico, Richard Pakenham, wrote in 1841 to...
  20. S

WI: More Empresarios?

IOTL, when the First Mexican Empire gained independence from Spain, the new country was very sparsely populated, with a total population of 6.2M, and almost 10% of the population, primarily young men – having been killed during the Mexican War of Independence, leaving the young nation with a...
Back