• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. J

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Not quite on topic but when he left the Foreign Office in 1979 he gave a bunch of his senior officials a signed photograph of himself, which my Dad still keeps in his study.
  2. J

AHC: Britain as tech capital of the world

You're right, of course - "but we must protect the £" has been a disastrous rallying cry for British economic policy since 1945. I meant "strong" more in the sense of the £ surviving as a global reserve currency as the present $ does.
  3. J

AHC: Britain as tech capital of the world

I think this is a bit of a red herring: popular distrust of science and poor technical training in the UK has been really overstated, I think. I think the real problem has been a bit of dumb bad luck (most inventions/startups come to nothing, after all), combined with a smaller population (as...
  4. J

Yes, the politics of competency in this TL would be fascinating
  5. J

I think in a way the remain vibe might matter more with a soft Brexit. Because then it basically stops being about the benefits of x, y or z Brexit deal in terms of political economy but about the question "are you for or against a kind of fungible social liberalism?" Maybe then the Red Wall...
  6. J

Yeah, I get that. But I'm a bit skeptical of the potential survivability of the Labour element specifically - especially given the scenario you sketch is kind of what happened in the OTL UK in the 1930s and look how well that turned out for National Labour in the long term. I think the real...
  7. J

Absolutely, I don't see what its electoral base would be, especially if Brexit is 'done' by the next election. I assume reconciliation with the main party would be out of the question too.
  8. J

I might be really dumb but I think I missed the gimmick here...
  9. J

Mirrored Britannia: or, what if 'Neoliberalism' meant something rather different? 1979-1990: Shirley Williams (Labour) 1979 - Anthony Barber (Conservative); David Steel (Liberal) 1983 - Keith Joseph (Conservative); David Steel (Liberal) 1987 - Geoffrey Howe (Conservative); David Steel (Liberal)...
  10. J

No War Outbreak in 1914: Impact on UK Domestically

This reminds me of an anecdote I read in David Cannadine's 'Ornamentalism' (I can't find the book right now so am probably misquoting slightly) about when Crown Prince Wilhelm and Edward Prince of Wales (as they then were) were at Ascot in the 1880s and King Kalakaua of Hawaii was also present...
  11. J

Irish Home Rule succeeds

I think I phrased myself badly: I didn't mean to imply that partition was inevitable and was in fact agreeing with the points you make. My point was that, by the time you get to the 1930s, avoiding some kind of partition probably was impossible (perhaps you disagree), which isn't to say it...
  12. J

Irish Home Rule succeeds

Do you mean in the sense that if nothing 'goes wrong' then there's even less impetus to change the constitution? I'm a bit skeptical of that to be honest, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I think the overwhelming view of decolonisation at the time and since OTL is that it did go pretty well...
  13. J

Irish Home Rule succeeds

Maybe, I don’t know if the rebalancing of forces would lead to the Die Hards necessarily changing their stance. On the one hand a larger un-split Liberal party might give more space for liberal imperial reforms but, on the other, if it’s a bigger tent party if might just have to do nothing...
  14. J

Oh, not terribly likely.
  15. J

Not much love for Newfoundland nationhood on this forum... A great shame...
  16. J

Irish Home Rule succeeds

I like to think that it might give all parties in the UK a sense of "oh, well that wasn't so bad" and encourage them to pursue increased self-government for India, obviating the long-term need for partition. The only problem with that is I don't know if there was an Indian figure in the 1890s...
  17. J

This might be a typo or does this imply that Newfoundland remains independent in this TL too?
  18. J

WI: No Bolshevik-ruled Russia?

Oof, I'm racing out of my comfort zone but here's the general narrative: the reforms following the 1905 Revolution had created the circumstances for a reasonably busy State Duma with a franchise that could at least be expanded upon. This was then thrown of course when the War started and...
Back