• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. P

WI the Booth Conspiracy is a complete success?

While in the popular consciousness the assassination of Abraham Lincoln is framed as the actions of a lone fanatic, in reality John Wilkes Booth was the only successful assassin out of a small group. The plan was to launch a decapitation strike of the United States government: Booth would kill...
  2. P

China's Operation Vijay

Suppose that in the wake of India's successful military takeover of Portugal's colony in Goa 1961, China decides to try the same with Macau at some point in the next few years. How would the actual military situation look, on both a strategic and tactical level? How will Britain react to this...
  3. P

Best Chance for Cuba as US State?

I feel like "Cuba as the 51st state/ a Confederate state" shows up once in a while in AH but it's usually as an afterthought with little explanation. To your mind, what's the most likely time for Cuba to be admitted into the United States? Something like Hawaii, where it's claimed as a...
  4. P

WI: An Actual National Crime Syndicate

If you are not familiar, the "National Crime Syndicate" was a rather sensationalist name given to a loose alliance of Jewish and Italian mobsters in the 50s and 60s. Most organized crime historians agree that while there was some degree of collaboration between gangs based in different cities...
  5. P

AHC: Switch Cultures of Boxing and Wrestling

Boxing and organized crime have always been linked- Don King used to run number rackets in Cleveland before getting into promoting, just for one example. However, I'm talking more about the general public perception as an honest sport- where wrestling is acknowledged even by fans to be fake...
  6. P

AHC: Switch Cultures of Boxing and Wrestling

Apologies if the title is confusing, it's a little difficult to put this concisely. Basically, what changes need to be made for wrestling to be a serious, legitimate, respected sport like boxing is IOTL? The match is not choreographed nor is the outcome predetermined, two wrestlers simply meet...
  7. P

Most plausible alternate Axis powers?

I am 100% not the person to write it but I would love to read a TL about a South American theater in WWII.
  8. P

Most Plausible Alternate Central Powers?

Since my other thread about which alternate Axis Powers led to some really interesting discussion, I thought I might make a version for WWI. What countries could be wrangled into joining up with the Central Powers? This might be a bit of a trickier question due to the tangled web of alliances...
  9. P

There was actually a pretty lengthy and interesting discussion about this recently.
  10. P

I've been idly kicking around the idea of a larger Axis in WWII, though I don't know if that's necessarily a path to an Axis victory. What countries can be plausibly cajoled or bullied into joining the Axis? I feel like I see Spain and Turkey floated the most, though both are in unenviable...
  11. P

The Massacre at Bornholmer Straße

On the 9th of November, 1989, the border crossing at Bornholmer Straße in Berlin was mobbed by East German citizens. Excitement had grown after announcements of impending easings of passport regulations, which had evolved into rumors of the borders between East and West Germany being opened...
  12. P

US Loses in Spanish-American War

Germany did do a little perfunctory saber-rattling at the beginning of tensions but nothing really came of it. Maybe a little added diplomatic pressure from European power, a few more banana peels in the already poor mobilization.
  13. P

US Loses in Spanish-American War

I feel like reversing the outcome of a war is pretty basic AH, but I can't recall seeing this particular question ever floated before. Suppose Spain successfully defends its colonial holdings from the US- I don't pretend to be a military expert so I'm afraid I don't have a specific POD in...
  14. P

AHC/ WI: American Gendarmerie

What if rather than the often labyrinthine system of municipal, county, and state police agencies the United States adopted a single federal service for policing? A designated uniformed branch responsible for everything from routine patrol and traffic all the way up to investigating serious...
  15. P

The Las Vegas of the Plains

Hot Springs was my first thought, actually.
  16. P

I agree it has to be a smaller town at first.. Maybe Galena, IL? Already established as a resort town for Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit. Maybe, like Atlantic City, it falls on hard times and reinvents itself by legalizing gambling.
  17. P

In broad terms, Las Vegas serves the West Coast and Atlantic City serves the East Coast. What are some possible candidates for a similar resort town for the Midwest and Upper South? With all the trappings of those two cities: legalized gambling, glamorous high-rise hotels, major entertainment...
  18. P

WI: 'Japanese-Ethiopian Friendship Treaty' allowed to happen?

If Italy still invades Ethiopia in 1935, would this be enough of a wedge to completely sour the growing relationship between what would eventually become the Axis powers?
  19. P

East German Combat Troops in Africa

Oh that's a weird coincidence.
  20. P

East German Combat Troops in Africa

Over the course of the Cold War, up to 4000 East German military advisors were dispatched to various Soviet aligned countries in Africa, most notably Angola, Mozambique, and Ethiopia. Suppose East Germany, like Cuba, escalates their involvement in Angola or Ethiopia and sends actual combat...
Back