• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

Japan joins the Sino-French War, followed by Russia

There would indeed be an obvious risk of China suffering greater losses. I do wonder what might happen with Korea, if you have a more active France not too far away.
  2. R

WI: 1901 Jodhpur ISOTed to Australia?

I cannot imagine that Australians would be happy to find out their continent, perhaps even their country, now had a Hindu majority population.
  3. R

Princess Diana lives

It could be made to work!
  4. R

WI: Hyderabadi Hadramaut?

Beyond that, an independent Hadrahmaut would be fascinating, as would be an independent India with some sort of a foothold in Arabia.
  5. R

Polish Masuria, Danzig, and Upper Silesia after World War I

German-Polish relations would certainly be even worse, critically without necessarily making Poland stronger. I mean, an intact Danzig would keep Poland from building up Gdynia from nothing, but that is the only clear advantage I can see.
  6. R

Princess Diana lives

It does occur to me that the survival of Diana might pose theological problems for Charles. OTL the death of Diana meant that he could marry Camilla without any problems as a widow. What would Diana living do to all that? (As head of the Church of England, this would also cause him political...
  7. R

Polish Masuria, Danzig, and Upper Silesia after World War I

Would there have been appetite for giving Poland these substantial and relatively pro-German territories?
  8. R

Princess Diana lives

Agreed. The growing consensus, I think, is that the Charles and Diana and Camilla triangle was doomed and disastrous and was forced upon them. Charles and Camilla should have been free to marry each other and surely would have, while one can only hope that Diana would have been able to find...
  9. R

Spain keeps Santo Domingo

The problem with Spanish Santo Domingo is that of Haiti. How do you overcome Haitian opposition to a European imperialist restoration on Hispaniola? Even France was not able to do it.
  10. R

A Communist, non-hermit, North Korea

That is my assumption, honestly.
  11. R

Alternatively, WI you avoid the Korean War altogether? Without the devastation of that war and later radicalization, maybe you could have a more nornal country.
  12. R

Indeed. The problem of how to make a Communism viable in a middle-income area verging on high-income status was one that never got solved.
  13. R

Effect of an Independent Hungary on the Crimean War

It is not clear to me that an Austria so notably reduced would be capable of going to war against a neighbour, at least not successfully. I am also curious about how Hungary survived versus Russia.
  14. R

AH Challenge: No African-American 20th century 'Great Migration' north and west

I once played with the idea of avoiding a Great Migration by having black people in the South get locked down in serfdom-like conditions. Not sure, now, how that would work. Beyond that, I think a relative lack of immigration restrictions would work, by allowing previous migration flows from...
  15. R

None of those countries, though, were autarkic. All of them were deeply embedded in different alliance structures. Even an East Germany that had much the most disappointing performance of the four countries you name was still a world trading owner. North Korea happened to be run by nationalist...
  16. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

As for transplanted Australasia, this TL might actually be one where CANZUK makes sense with a relatively continuous band of British and British-controlled territories extending across the North Atlantic.
  17. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

Both Spain and Portugal will find themselves in a relatively stronger position versus their Pacific holdings, although it is open to question what sort of Spanish-Filipino relationship you could make. Cuba is likely to split away from the Spanish empire, while Puerto Rico is anyone's guess. I...
  18. R

The problem with this scenario is that unlike Communist Vietnam, which did reunify the country, or the People's Republic, which unified the entire country save for an island, the DPRK did not reunify Korea under its rule. That demonstrable failure is just the sort of thing that I think would...
  19. R

ASB Scenario- All Islands ISOTed to a 'Virgin Earth'

I mean, there are a lot of islands. Is Manhattan taken? Is the Hochelaga archipelago on the St. Lawrence, which hosts Montréal and most of its conurbation, included? Is there a minimum size?
Back