• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

How valid is this costing of a Dover/Calais causeway - when built by the Romans?

One more consideration is that the Romans might realize they don’t exactly want a true causeway since, you know, that kind of puts a crimp in trade from Iberia and Gaul to the North Sea if boats now have to sail up and around Scotland. You could see something built in segments, like the...
  2. M

Pickett Goes Forth: Confederate Victory at Gettysburg

Ah, I see what you mean, thank you.
  3. M

I’m sorry but is this correct? It is different from your original post, and an impossiblity; Pender’s division, with Isaac Trimble in acting command, was already sent forward in the initial attack, and Rodes is occupying the right-center of the Confederate lines directly in front of Cemetery...
  4. M

And really, while I know that the (narrower) point of this exercise is to investigate a relatively undiscussed PoD of Gettysburg, I do find it strange that we’re quibbling over whether a major Confederate victory with tens of thousands of additional Union casualties is possible on July 3, when...
  5. M

I do apologize for the late reply - work has left me unable to do the in-depth research that such a response deserves. Before anything else, I should note that I am going off of this map of the 3rd day of the battle prepared by the Corps of Engineers in 1878, as it is finely detailed enough to...
  6. M

Unfortunately I do not seem to have access to the full text, so I cannot properly comment on this scenario. I would however be interested in knowing how the study takes into account the reserves that Meade would have had on hand to respond to a more concerted attack, particularly the recently...
  7. M

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

“Your majesty, the British keep conquering all the native island monarchies of the Pacific, and they even conquered us once by accident! They’re almost certainly going to come back to finish the job at some point, how are we going to defend our independence?!” “I have an idea. Let’s add the...
  8. M

Least favorite alt-history story?

Oh absolutely.
  9. M

Not quite: it’s actually almost the entire border area between Kaliningrad and Poland on the east and Lithuania, Belarus, and Ukraine on the west, with the contemporary borders running almost right down the center. Major population centers include Kaunas, Lublin, Grodno, and Brest, but narrowly...
  10. M

Alternate History General Discussion

Believing that hitting just the right buttons/shooting just the right people/triangulating just the right set of viewpoints/finding and listening to just the right advisors/passing just the right laws, et cetera ad nauseam, will lead to an optimal outcome where everyone is happy and no one else...
  11. M

Imagine, if you will, a group of aliens landed on Earth tomorrow, brushed aside all welcoming missions, set up a podium, and declared that iguanas are beautiful and are now a protected species, then without saying another word packed up and left. Some people, including most governments out of...
  12. M

I’m sorry for asking (and even more sorry for looking - ick) but in the quotes directly below the initial post, were the images supposed to be deleted as well?
  13. M

Poland cedes Danzig to stall for time

Well yes, but the thing about pyramid schemes is that the people at the top tend to make out pretty darn well, even if overall everyone loses money. And Germany did go from being one of the worst economic basket cases of the entire Great Depression to funding a war against an increasingly...
  14. M

Poland cedes Danzig to stall for time

Genuinely curious here: were the Nazis spending so much in the expectation that they would use the results of their expenditures to steal the wealth of other countries and pay off the loans that way, or was it simply short-term myopia? If it’s the former, it’s kind of hard to criticize the...
  15. M

Germany takes more of Lorraine

I do vaguely recall reading in Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie that Bismarck didn’t really want any French land to be taken, but that while he could see a case for taking the historic duchy of Alsace as it had once been part of the stem Duchy of Swabia/Kingdom of East Francia, taking any bits of...
  16. M

Interesting. I partially retract my statement then.
  17. M

Got to be honest, I can’t see that really fixing anything. I perceive three issues that are contributing to the decline and none of them are related to the contests: 1. SLP is fundamentally a left/center-left political forum first and an alt-history forum second, where the writing discussions...
  18. M

Thank you, I was quite pleased when I got into a four-way tie for fourth place with it. This community used to have excellent writing be common-place.
  19. M

Well thank you.
  20. M

The Borders of Genre: The Glorification of Fascism Within Alternate History

There’s two far larger questions that need asking here though, both for ethical world-building purposes and RTL: 1. If everyone has done it/is doing it, why is it wrong? and 2. If we are inhabiting an environment made a happier place to live through the suffering and deaths of others, how...
Back