• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

WI: Different Byzantine fallout post-Manzikert?

Wait does the First Crusade even happen in your scenario with a more stable and successful Byzantine state?
  2. R

Yea, I guess the question I'm picking up on is what holes in Byzantine administration and economic policy/activity were keeping the Byzantine armies in civil war mode instead of in keep Turks out mode and how contingent they are. In this scenario, is the assumption that they become Orthodox...
  3. R

I guess my question is-how much of the Byzantine loss of interior Anatolia was inevitable to some extent by 1070 give Political And Socioeconomic Developments and how much was just bad luck of who got into power after Manzikert and who failed to evict the Normans? (also because I'm a...
  4. R

WI the Booth Conspiracy is a complete success?

Well we get full Radical Reconstruction with land to the tiller, Johnson's out of the picture, and Jeff Davis will hang from a sour apple tree. So...critical support to Atzerodt? I guess the other big change is no Alaska, which could have very interesting knock-on effects for BNA.
  5. R

Tibby's Graphics and Grab-Bag Thread.

I'm getting powerful "PRI but it's the UK" vibes
  6. R

AH Challenge: Preempt the rise of car-dependent urbanism

yea, and that's something that wasn't universal-Italy didn't have much, and a lot of other western Euro cities just didn't have the money to build these. Which goes to I think the longer lag between "car culture being introduced" and "first time it stopped working well" meaning there was less...
  7. R

Yea, it's interesting to imagine a universe where a car is culturally shown as more of a Specific Life Stage Thing.
  8. R

Meant to point this out but this was underway well before widespread car ownership; electric streetcars became popular as a replacement for horse-drawn omnibuses and streetcars for precisely this reason. I do think you're onto something about legal regimes shifting to be much more favorable to...
  9. R

Side note on streetcars: They were always mostly screwed with some exceptions once cars became widespread because at that point they were at the mercy of cars but couldn't weave around like a bus. IIRC pretty much all the places with widespread useful streetcars that survived the depression and...
  10. R

Yea, I think it's very hard to not have widespread car usage in any sort of industrial society barring a very specific kind of economic planning that nobody, soviets included, contemplated. What is a lot easier is to have something more like Scandinavian/Dutch levels of car ownership and...
  11. R

I think we have to separate out US car culture from euro/elsewhere car culture. For the US I think the key points are 1) the Model T taking off in the 20s, creating a much longer lag between when car ownership starts becoming widespread and the Oil Embargo/first real shock to the oil supply...
  12. R

WI Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, King of Hannover dies in the Revolutionary wars

I think the question for a more reactionary Victoria is how much residual power the monarch had by c. 1810 or so at least informally and what exertion of that power means for English radicalism or an alt-1848 getting more steam in the UK.
  13. R

WI Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, King of Hannover dies in the Revolutionary wars

If we're trying to puncture but not rend asunder the butterfly net, do we argue that Cumberland kicking can lead to the entire Kensington System being avoided and Victoria having a much more normal childhood? Possibly even with some contact from and influence from Sussex?
  14. R

Earliest High-Speed Rail in the UK?

Ahh OK, so like STL's MetroLink? That makes more sense, I was picturing a fully diesel metro system and went "huh"
  15. R

I'm just puzzled by "metro" and "diesel" in the same sentence.
  16. R

WI: Robespierre and the Jacobins Retain Power?

So what do you think drove the Terror then?
  17. R

What exactly *did* BR screw up in our TL? Besides Beeching I mean.
  18. R

WI: Ottoman-Entente Peace in 1915/1916.

I'm envisioning a scenario where the Ottomans know that Russia has 0 interest in taking Van or backing an independent Armenian state in Van and/or have explicitly offered the Ottomans a negotiated population exchange, so the CUP never develops a "the Armenians in Van are a threat to our internal...
  19. R

WI: Ottoman-Entente Peace in 1915/1916.

I thought the Russians didn't want Van? If they point-blank decline to take control that may save some Armenians more-make it clear that te Yes, the Armenian Genocide kicked off in 1915 demon wikipedia says in April of 1915 although Turkey refuses to allow access to most of the internal...
  20. R

WI : The Vivaldi brothers successfully circumnavigate Africa

Right, the que Would the 13th/14th century Italians have had good enough shipping to make commercial use of the route?
Back