• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Shuffling the Deck - US Presidential edition 1953-1961 Dwight Eisenhower/Richard Nixon 1961-1965 Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. 1965-1973 Lyndon B Johnson/Robert McNamara 1973-1977 Ronald Reagan/Howard Baker 1977-1978 John F Kennedy/Adlai Stevenson III 1978-1979 John F Kennedy/vacant (1)...
  2. T

No Vichy France?

Yeah, but the Heer has had to fight the French all the way to Marseille, on increasingly stretched supply lines, whilst the figleaf of legitmacy that the Vichy Regime offered isn't there so more German forces (which would have otherwise been sent to Russia OTL) will be required to garrison France.
  3. T

No Vichy France?

I couldn't see the French fleet getting destroying during the evacuation to North Africa, the Germans were never exceptional at aerial attacks on shipping, and the Italians probably wouldn't risk their fleet to attack the evacuation convoys, at best at that time they had two Battleships plus...
  4. T

Operation Eisenhammer in June 1943

Did the Germans have the ability to bomb accurately enough to cause anything more than minor damage to the generating plants?
  5. T

AHC/WI : Communist China reduced to Soviet occupied zones.

The Kuomintang and Chiang Kai-Shek would want to control Beijing in the aftermath of the Japanese surrender at the very least to provide further legitimacy over the CCP, and to deny the CCP the legitimacy of controlling Beijing. Additionally, if a armistice is eventually concluded between the...
  6. T

UK Secondary School ISOT to August 1940.

Your average UK Secondary school (so around 800 students, sixth form, plenty of teachers and plenty of poorly behaved students) gets ISOT back in time to the Battle of Britain. I'll work on the grounds the school was built on a greenfield site so doesn't displace anything. The biggest benefit...
  7. T

US Politics if the Upper South transitions away from slavery

If a state does decide to abolish slavery, perhaps in the 1830's/1840's then wouldn't it start a crisis in the senate as the balance between slave and free states would be off?
  8. T

What’s the best Operation Sea Lion book, in your opinion?

There is a timeline on AH.Com which makes changes to the pre-war Luftwaffe in order to provide the conditions needed for Sealion to go ahead, with the invasion failing after a few days. I'd also be interested if anyone has written or looked into a Sealion - 1942, with the rough premise that...
  9. T

Alexander the Great lives

Gone back to Babylon and spent the rest of his life trying to keep his empire together. He may have invaded some of Arabia, but I doubt he would have been able to embark on any major campaigns in the West.
  10. T

Greatest Britain II (United Kingdom of Britain and Hanover)

It's a curious idea, but the British government always saw Hannover as an annoyance, which might pull them into continental affairs in Germany. I can't see either Prussia or Austria accepting it at the Congress of Vienna, and I can't see the British government demanding it under any...
  11. T

The 1908 Congo Crisis

I actually meant the Congo river, not the whole of the Congo. I agree that internationalising the entire country would be challenging.
  12. T

The 1908 Congo Crisis

I think the British would be keen to pick up Katanga. Additionally, I think the Congo might have been internationalised during negotations.
  13. T

John Major resigns in 1995?

In 1995, John Major resigned as Tory leader in order to force his critics in the party to 'put up or shut up.' This proved a success for Major, who beat John Redwood by a large margin in a vote of Tory MP's, and survived as Tory leader until after the 1997 election. But Major set himself a...
  14. T

Britain exchanges Weihaiwei for the New Territories; other concessions for greater Hong Kong?

I don't really think it changes the reality that once the PRC or any other Chinese government recovers from the warlord period they will make diplomatic moves and eventually military ones to take it back from a declining British empire
  15. T

Most plausible alternate Axis powers?

I'm going to make the radical suggestion of Poland. There was a degree of Polish-German reapproachment in the early 1930's, which if the Polish government saw the Soviet Union as a greater threat than Nazi Germany might lead to some kind of alliance. I'd fully expect the Germans to stab the...
  16. T

Most plausible alternate Axis powers?

And you could imagine before the war the state department and the various pre CIA intelligence agencies would be very keen to support and encourage a viable coup attempt.
  17. T

Austria-Hungary-Croatia

Italy, Serbia and Romania all have reasons to get involved in the civil war as well.
  18. T

Japan does better economically in the 1920's?

https://www.boj.or.jp/en/research/wps_rev/rev_2009/data/rev09e02.pdf Reading this, Japan had a pretty torrid time economically in the 1920's, with the Great Kanto earthquake causing great financial instability, leading to a partial bailing out of the Japanese banking system in 1927, followed by...
  19. T

AHC: Alliance between the far-left and far-right

The Molotov-Rippentrop pact only happened because of Realpolitik, and both sides intended to stab the other in the back within a few years. Nor would I describe it as a alliance.
  20. T

WI: Hitler Brings Back the Monarchy?

The most plausible way I could see it happen is if Hindenburg can't run for a second term due to poor health, and Crown Prince Willhelm runs with the backing of the Conservatives. Then when Hitler takes power, he elevates Willhelm to Kaiser to placate the army and Conservatives, but strips the...
Back