• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

British Governor and Rhodesian military chiefs arrest Ian Smith during UDI

Wasn't most of Rhodesia under martial law? BTW, why did Apartheid South Africa never recognize Rhodesia?
  2. R

British Governor and Rhodesian military chiefs arrest Ian Smith during UDI

The problem is that the British would have had to cross both Tanzania and Zambia in order to reach Rhodesia.
  3. R

The Borders of Genre: The Glorification of Fascism Within Alternate History

Yes, as I said, I didn't want to divert from the subject of the thread. Returning the thread to this original subject, in the thread about @moth's previous review about Guns of the South, @Geordie said at...
  4. R

To be fair, my fellow Portuguese @archangel has said the same thing at https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/portugal-keeps-cabo-verde-and-s%C3%A3o-tom%C3%A9-and-pr%C3%ADncipe.2783/page-2#post-560668.
  5. R

I am well aware of the PAIGC and the MLSTP but they were exiled intellectuals. We don't know to what extent they were representative of the general population of Cabo Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe.
  6. R

Both Cabo Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe were uninhabited when the Portuguese discovered them and there were no insugencies there during the Portuguese Colonial War.
  7. R

Being Portuguese, I must say I do think Cabo Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe should have remained part of Portugal as autonomous regions like the Azores and Madeira and would have been better off as such. The United Kingdom, France and the Netherlands have overseas territories.
  8. R

Not to deviate from the subject of the thread, but with regards to Namibia, I think some people base themselves on the Western United States, Northern Mexico, Patagonia, the steppe zone of Ukraine and Russia, Dzungaria and Inner Mongolia, which also had semi-arid or arid environments with...
  9. R

I am a week late in replying, but I don't think there is a problem with envisioning an Axis victory as long as you portray it like the horror it would have been. The Man in the High Castle is an Alien Space Bats scenario, though, as Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan never had the capability to...
  10. R

AHC: Islamic India

Sorry for the late reply, but I think you misunderstood what I said. When I said "Some of the Maluku Islands, which are in Eastern Indonesia, are Muslim majority but they were vital to the spice trade.", I meant some of the Maluku Islands were exceptions in Eastern Indonesia in being Muslim...
  11. R

How would India have fared under S.C. Bose's continued leadership?

How much chance do you see of a Tamil secesionist party eventually winning an election in Tamil Nadu in this timeline? If it happened, how would Bose's government respond?
  12. R

How would India have fared under S.C. Bose's continued leadership?

Could Subhas Chandra Bose have prevented the partition of India? For all his flaws, Bose was very secular. He even wanted a 50% quota for Muslims in the Indian Parliament.
  13. R

AHC: Anglo-French mutual invasions, wars, alliances, personal unions, or significant general politicking between 486 AD and 1066 AD

Not to deviate from the subject of the thread and no offense, but think you are misinformed in regards to Neolithic DNA in modern British people. IIRC, the Neolithic farmers of the British Islands were almost entirely displaced. Only about 10% of their DNA survived in later populations of the...
  14. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

As I said, the mild climate in Northern Europe is because not only of the Gulf Stream but also the westerly winds. It is also seen in the west coasts of North America and South America.
  15. R

Egypt with Sudan?

I posted a thread here a year ago about Anglo-Egyptian Sudan being divided between Egypt and Uganda at the Juba Conference of 1947, https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/sudan-divided-between-egypt-and-uganda.4159/.
  16. R

A Communist, non-hermit, North Korea

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-kim-il-sung-dies-before-korea-is-liberated.430894/post-16050154 discusses the four different factions of the Korean Communist Party. It appears unlikely that any other plausible Korean Communist leader would have come up with Kim Il Sung's...
  17. R

AH Challenge: No African-American 20th century 'Great Migration' north and west

I doubt Reconstruction could be successful but even if it was, some degree of black migration to the Northeast, Midwest and, to a lesser extent, West is still inevitable, IMO, because the American Civil War set back the economy of the South by a century.
  18. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

Sweden, Norway and Finland are mild for their latitude because not only the Gulf Stream but also the westerly winds.
  19. R

Africa During the Scramble: Spanish Slaves

Great article. Here is an interesting fact: Spain had major problems asserting control over Annobón in the first decades because the locals were pro-Portuguese and didn't want to be ruled by Spain. Annobón is very much like São Tomé and Príncipe and speaks a Portuguese based creole. It's largely...
  20. R

In Memoriam: Eric Flint

May Eric Flint rest in peace. I must admit I had never heard of him before, though.