• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. B

Alternate History General Discussion

That's Bring the Jubilee
  2. B

Everything is a huge can of worms with a lot of mutual dependencies and it's a bit hard to predict what, say, Nasser or Saddam Hussein might have done in different circumstances in the way you can guess how a Western democracy or the Soviet Union might have reacted to a Communist Iran or...
  3. B

The problem of the revolutionary libertarian is the problem of large-scale capital. The minarchist Jacobins in Moon is a Harsh Mistress worked because the moon was a neglected backwater with no big corporations, which isn't really possible even in the context of the book, but Heinlein's...
  4. B

Not really, and the revolutionaries weren't libertarian so much as the second half of the book, after the revolution succeeds, there was a bunch of libertarian theorizing. The revolution was modeled more on the American revolution(s) than the French one, it was about independence rather than...
  5. B

The revolutionaries in the book are libertarian minarchist Jacobins, down to wearing liberty caps.
  6. B

You're thinking of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
  7. B

Least favorite alt-history story?

That's a very very Internet AH thing, isn't it? Uchronia stories feature bats from outer space, never mind the whys, just like fantasy stories have elves and wizards because Tolkien did it. This is why I think we're almost better off that AH isn't a popular literary genre. Pretty much every...
  8. B

There's so much great stuff, but the Iranians just suddenly surrendering at the point when in OTL they nearly captured Umm Qasr is my favorite. Followed closely by the Iraqis avoiding the Coalition flanking maneuver in the Gulf War by simply stationing troops along the entire border. All the...
  9. B

Who could be a "Democratic Reagan?"

Makemakean lives in a beautiful Platonic world of spherical cows and we should never attempt to bring him down to the grimy less-quantifiable reality the rest of us have to live in.
  10. B

That said, I'm a bit uncomfortable about importing arguments from other corners of the Internet to here. Published work is one thing, even using the most generous definition of published, but it doesn't seem quite right to just say people on other websites are wrong in discussion threads when...
  11. B

That's not really an effective argument. David is already acknowledging that it's possible to swing very hard against the Tories in this situation, but he's giving specific examples of British seats that the Tories would hold even if half their voters defected, and... Vote distribution is...
  12. B

It's a fun way to make a TL but I'm not 100% sure how fun that would be to read.
  13. B

More Tolerance of Creole Languages

The problem with this is the framing of the question. Creoles are just a member of the same dialect continuum as their parent language, but languages aren't surrounded by insurmountable barriers except those formed by nationalism. If you know Jamaican Creole or Naija, it's relatively effortless...
  14. B

Drawing borders for ethnic states in Anatolia is a fool's game where the inevitable result of any new partition will be genocide. And it would involve Pakistan-scale bloodshed if not more in creating it. In this scenario, Turkey would probably be the militarized Pakistan analogue with an...
  15. B

That's just the Ottoman Empire with extra steps, though, like bizarro Ataturkism. I'm also not really sure how that would happen when the whole point of carving up the Ottoman Empire was to give different European states pieces of the pie.
  16. B

As a big MMA fan and someone interested in the history of combat sports, it's interesting to think about how combat sports would evolve in a different TL. The long and short of it is that the idea of world champions of boxing and wrestling is something that crops up as soon as you have global...
  17. B

You can't have any sort of Assyrian state or sensible Kurdistan if you support Armenian revanchism, since Greater Armenia includes any place where any Armenians might have lived ever. I'd much rather see rump Ottoman empires in AH with late 19th/early 20th century PODs than more giant...
  18. B

By a constant shifting of rhetorical focus &c &c &c
  19. B

I hate bringing up Other Forums drama, but long ago someone cited a Wikipedia article to refute a point, and the person he was arguing with not only had written that Wikipedia article but his PhD thesis was in the references on the page.
  20. B

Yes, your honor, I have an extremely small penis and dislike Michael Crichton books, but I have never harmed a baby.