• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

Election maps and assorted others

I strongly oppose the translation of fasci into league. It's much more fun when you translate it as sheaf or bundle.
  2. M

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Okay, let's get started then, shall we?
  3. M

Seeing there was some experimentation with both AV and STV in British Columbia and Alberta in the first half of the twentieth century, but in both cases, it ended up being abolished (in both cases by a near absolutely dominant Social Credit Party), I am a bit curious as to why both AV and STV...
  4. M

AMERICA DIVIDES: The Multi-Party US Election of 2016

Weirdly enough, when my parents visited the other week, we did this game where we were trying to see if the three of us could name a city in every state in the US, and we ended up in an argument over the pronunciation of Raleigh. I was thoroughly convinced it had to be Ra-Lee, because seeing it...
  5. M

Interview: Tom Anderson

I dunno. I’ve heard about this Tom Anderson. Very toxic individual. I think it’s a shame that SLP would invite him in for an interview.
  6. M

Must admit that it is first when looking at this map that I learned that apparently the USPD and the KPD actually coexisted for a period of time. I always just assumed that the KPD first emerged on the scene after the USPD had dissolved, but apparently, they existed all the way up until 1931...
  7. M

I do have one question, though, you do have some yellow up in Oldenburg, and some yellow down by Karlsruhe and Basel, yet in the relative majority legend, those are not indicated. What's up with that?
  8. M

That you had time to accumulate enough data for even a single graphic amazes me! Well done!
  9. M

Rough sketch of an idea of mine shamelessly stolen from Futurama:
  10. M

It's not pure D'Hondt in other words, it's Thandean Representation. :p
  11. M

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

Yeah, England is going to suffer too. All of northern Europe depends on the Gulf Stream for life there to be endurable. Without it, temperatures everywhere are going to start dropping. And you cannot just have people "bunch up" in the cities. You have agriculture producing food, you have forests...
  12. M

Another Thandean Election Night! Wooooooooooooo!! Awesome! And fitting! I actually was in New York on election night 2016 (along with Hillary and Donald, but they're unimportant compared to me)!
  13. M

Cartographicum Thandeum

It would contain stuff like, them mention that in the last election, as many as 7% of voters voted blank (i.e. not for the approved Party candidate), and this was believed to be due to confusion with people thinking that if they just cast a blank ballot they had automatically voted for the Party...
  14. M

Cartographicum Thandeum

I suppose one kind of has to play a little with the concept to make it work nowadays, but even then, it's hard to make a whole series with it. I did write a mini-vignette a couple of months ago about reporting on the war in Ukraine as if it was a presidential election, but I've also had this...
  15. M

Cartographicum Thandeum

I feel far less angsty about my own lack of progress with The Great Nordic Election Night in knowing that even the author of Partyin' Like It's 1999 at times struggle with the format.
  16. M

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

Severe disaster for Scandinavia! You’ve short-circuited the Gulf Stream! Sweden, Norway, and Finland will be about as habitable as Nunavut within the next two or three years!
  17. M

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day, but it only took a month to draw it:
  18. M

Alexander the Great lives

I did once have this idea based on Tegmark's multiverse hypothesis about how "every universe that is mathematically possible exists in some sense out there," and how technically, this means that there must be a universe out there where Alexander just keeps on winning and winning and winning and...
  19. M

Tedious business...
  20. M

Kings of Venetia and Lombardy

I honestly don't know what would be considered the most plausible or likely thing to do. This is Italy that we're talking about, as opposed to Sweden, but when the matter came up in Sweden in the 1740s in the connexion with the House of the Palatinate dying out, though the notion of having some...