• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. D

Africa During the Scramble: The Kings of the Golden Stool

You know its real shades of black when the independent African power asserting itself involves multiple attempts to conquer other african nations and fighting for their right to take slaves with most of all soldiers on all sides being African and all armies preying on civilians. I think when...
  2. D

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Operations in fiction

Just hire the Red Army again but pay an extra ruble for every real casualty. Hollywood winning the Cold War.
  3. D

On game of thrones, the book series is far better than the show as a rule but still has a lot of the flaws of the genre, super successful night attacks and ignoring the defensive value of fortifications. It at least spends a lot of time talking about food, diplomacy, morale and terrain. I'd...
  4. D

Reading this I found you to be right but feel Narnia as a movie and a book series is being done a slight disservice since its actually to my mind a very good depiction of operational matters, or rather what goes wrong and right based on factors entirely outside the tactical with the battles...
  5. D

Africa During the Scramble: The Desert Order

Hmm A 1960s Arab Military verse the unreformed Italian Military. That seems like asking for two bald men slipping and accidently stabbing themselves in the eye with a comb.
  6. D

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Operations

I really need to stress that this is just me browsing the wikipedia page. If you've got actual serious historical sources for your interpretation please don't change anything, I just got curious about the battle so skimmed the wiki during my break and noticed there was a lot of page space given...
  7. D

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Operations

Actually I think I might have a correction that strengthens your overall argument. I do not know the battle in any depth so like anyone on the internet who wants to debate historians I just opened wikipedia. Anyway the correction as such is that the site of the battle was pretty much taken out...
  8. D

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Night Battles

One of my biggest peves in fiction is how night battles are always easy, always work and always make the opposition look completely stupid. Broken and sprained ankles are near inevitable. Good article.
  9. D

What if Hitler had gone for Moscow? (Part 1)

On balance I think that the Germans cannot take Moscow but probably do end up inflicting at least a few crushing defeats on the Soviets along the way to failure and the result is a grinding attrition battle before Winter sets in. Whether its a better or worse situation for the Germans depends...
  10. D

WI: USA goes to war with Japan in 1937?

Its all just unknowable IMO. Especially because like the discussions and planning pre-war are not much help because OTL WW2 basically saw them scrapped from the offset and a lot of improvising and adaption.
  11. D

WI: USA goes to war with Japan in 1937?

Not sure on how plausible the POD is but just musing on it Its kind of interesting because the USN's massive OTL fleet building program which made the OTL Pacific War unlosable hasn't started but the IJN is missing a lot of carriers and some of its strongest battleships as well and with...
  12. D

WI: British Purchase California in 1841?

Its a bit boring but I don't think that the British would really go for this when there are already a bunch of Americans present eying up annexation and part of the justification for settling the Canadian border issue peacefully was to free up the US Army for potential action in Mexico. If the...
  13. D

AHC and WI: Abortion Remains a Catholic Issue

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that instead of a random shit post about biological warfare in a completely unrelated thread there was something actually behind it even if its just a retread of the old conspiracy theories. Guess that was a mistake.
  14. D

AHC and WI: Abortion Remains a Catholic Issue

Like seriously though is that something that happened or what?
  15. D

Where did OTL's introduction of atomic weapons sit in multiversal probability curve of outcomes for the 20th century?

I made a joke years ago when another poster asked why the Americans wanted to blow up the moon or something during the 1950s with one of their crazy project. Other poster: "Why would they want that to happen?" Me: "Funnily enough the President asking that very question is what got the project...
  16. D

The Nitpicker's Guide to Ancient Warfare: Courage

Yeah but it's so high that it only happens when the top ten percent fight the bottom ten percent and those matchups nearly always come with the side with more firepower also having more elan. And more often than not its still the weight of material superiority rather than its sophistication...
  17. D

The Nitpicker's Guide to Ancient Warfare: Courage

I think its important to remember that defending was more dangerous than attacking in the First World war on a tactical level and strategically the casualties normally evened out with the side with better training, more weight of numbers at the right point, better positions, etc. etc. etc...
  18. D

What if Germany had returned to war in 1919?

Because they won the war and got mostly what they wanted out of the treaty they wrote. I believe we can take the victors of the world war at their word that they were willing to fight the war until they won it. Ultimately that is what it comes down to. The Germans Army was defeated on the...
  19. D

What if Germany had returned to war in 1919?

Given the Allies warned they would invade across the Rhine within 24 hours if the Germans did not sign and the Germans believed them I think that's a citation in itself that the German situation wasn't considered rosy by either side.