• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

AMERICA DIVIDES: The Multi-Party US Election of 2016

As said above, that'll be the last update till next weekend as I'll be away from my files on holiday, see you when I get back.
  2. T

Threadmarks 7

The cameras focused on Katty Kay once again. "When it became clear that Mr Obama's ambitious reforms could not be stopped, there were many commentators who thought that the American two-party system was, nonetheless, too entrenched to see a true multi-party system form." To her side, imagery of...
  3. T

Meppo's Electoral Molehill

If you ignore the impact of butterflies, I wonder how other possible Russian leaders would have handled the Kursk disaster and the Moscow theatre siege - those are the two defining stories from early 2000s Russia I always think of (though presumably because they were the two most reported here...
  4. T

On The Dangerous Edge Of (Sub)Genres

Please do!
  5. T

Interview: Kevin Ikenberry

As though to illustrate this, this one got wider twitter dispersal than most of our interviews and an acknowledgement from Baen.
  6. T

On The Dangerous Edge Of (Sub)Genres

This is why I tend to agree with @Meadow that it's better to see AH as a 'setting' rather than a 'genre' - not only can it not be pinned down so easily, but AH elements can be used in a wildly diverse range of writings; one could easily define genres within AH, or say that a work falls into a...
  7. T

Behind the Scenes: Lands of Red and Gold

Good idea to do this accompanying article for the release, we should think about doing this more often.
  8. T

NEW RELEASES: Alternate Irelands, Australias, Americas and Englands

Sounds good. Should be easy enough to expand outside the English-speaking world as well, I think we've had a fair few vignettes about France, Germany, etc. (preferably not all WW2 ones). India and China also seem possible, not to mention the New World.
  9. T

Can I get a second opinion on forum rules about wanting Nick Clegg to die horrifically, because Facebook now won't even let me view the new-books post I've just made to pin it on the SLP page. ...I admit I thought the same. Well, that's our next anthologies sorted after the sports one I...
  10. T

Circulated - didn't see this at first as I was writing an article.
  11. T

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 13: First Frontier, Dark Mirror, Imzadi, and Q-Squared

She does explicitly have Picard's inner monologue say "so this version of Earth avoided WWIII", which surprised me, as I didn't think that bit of the timeline was quite so well defined at the pre-First Contact time this book was written. I haven't read many Star Trek books from the era in which...
  12. T

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 13: First Frontier, Dark Mirror, Imzadi, and Q-Squared

I still enjoyed it a lot overall, it's just certain things didn't gel with me - I worry the review sounded more negative than I intended, just because it's easier to write about points of contention. I was genuinely impressed at how Duane captured the feel of mid-era TNG as unashamedly...
  13. T

It was nice to be able to do a more focused article rather than a whip-over summary for a change. Dark Mirror is one I read recently specifically for this article, whereas the other three are based on memories from over a decade ago.
  14. T

For clarity that's the last update for this weekend; I'm away next weekend but will see if I can do at least one more update before then (maybe Friday).
  15. T

Threadmarks 6

"If you're just joining us, this is an American election night like no other. Under the new proportional voting system and party structure introduced by Barack Obama, the electoral map has become a rainbow of options - and some of the, er, more popular colours have defied the ability of the...
  16. T

Threadmarks 5

MD-02 Lib 116,801 37% Prog 72,670 23% Nat 68,142 21.6% Fus 44,408 14.1% All 13,445 4.3% Cst 0 0% Con 0 0% Total 315,467 MCs elected: Lib Prog Nat...
  17. T

I was delighted to discover she did actually do a speech at the 2016 Democratic convention so I could use her, because I always like bringing up @Lord Roem 's description of her (from her 2014 senate run) as 'a woman with a gun who has never heard of President Obama' - after an interview she did...
  18. T

Threadmarks 4

FL-16 Nat 107,662 27.1% Lib 107,284 27% Con 71,166 17.9% Prog 63,158 15.9% Cst 34,443 8.7% All 13,094 3.3% Fus 0 0% Total 396,807 MCs elected: Nat Lib Con...
  19. T

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Well, these things are subjective - often people have a reputation for being dull now because we forget those aspects at the time.
  20. T

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Not the first time this has been done but... The Dull Shall Inherit the States 1974-1981: Gerald Ford (Republican) 1976 def: Birch Bayh (Democratic) 1981-1985: Bob Dole (Republican) 1980 def: Adlai Stevenson III (Democratic) 1985-1993: Mike Dukakis (Democratic) 1984 def: Bob Dole (Republican)...