• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. S

NEW RELEASES: Alternate Irelands, Australias, Americas and Englands

LORAG II: The Quickening has landed just in time for my holiday, so that's pretty fortuitous. Can't wait to find out what happens next.
  2. S

Football PoDs and alternate possibilities.

I do have rough notes for a vignette where Keegan's "I would love it if we beat them" rant leads to him inadvertently making a deal with the devil.
  3. S

Sometimes I see a post and enjoy it, but then I see the number of likes the post has and think...

Sometimes I see a post and enjoy it, but then I see the number of likes the post has and think, "Yeah, that's about the right number of likes for that post" so don't like it myself.
  4. S

Lesser-Known Near-Deaths and Near-Misses

Another British Prime Minister who had a near-miss was John Major, who was in a car accident when he was working in Nigeria in 1967. You can have it either way - if the car accident kills him, obviously he can't be Prime Minister in 1990 and instead we get Hurd or Lamont or someone. Or, he...
  5. S

Review: Sword, Stone & Table

I feel that dividing Arthurian stories into Past, Present and Future rather than Once and Future is a mistake.
  6. S

Alternate History General Discussion

A mountainous country with backwards views of the rights of women, Switzerland is the punchline of this bait and switch joke.
  7. S

I'm fine with nonsensical borders because plenty of OTL borders are nonsensical.
  8. S

Living the Twenties: P,Q,R

QPR spent the 1920s in the Third Division, having been members at its creation in 1920. Their best finish was 3rd in the inaugural season, while in 1923-24 and 1925-26 they finished 22nd and bottom and had to survive reelection to the Football League (though actually it never came to a vote as...
  9. S

Maybe not lesser known (though it fades with each passing year), in 2006 Dick Cheney shot a member of his hunting party. If Harry Whittington gets unlucky, he could have died. I imagine that even if Whittington had died it wouldn't have resulted in criminal charges for Cheney, but he might have...
  10. S

This is an interesting one, because in a world where he had died in 1913, the author of a TL that spared him only to kill him in 1914 to spark a global conflict would swiftly find piss and their face in alignment.
  11. S

Franz Ferdinand (the archduke, not the band) nearly died in 1913 in Worksop when game shooting, when a shotgun accidentally discharged, the shot passing close by.
  12. S

Harold Macmillan had a near miss during the First World War, but I suppose there plenty of politicians his age who served in the First World War who had near-misses. He also survived a plane crash in 1943.
  13. S

BBC Radio 4's What If?

There was also a companion forum/bulletin board, which closed down shortly after the show stopped being broadcast. It was the gateway drug that lead me here.
  14. S

Kindle rankings

Good to see my purchase of BaBF on 9 April made a big difference.
  15. S

Interviewing the AH Community: Ben H. Winters

There's an alternate history there. If Weiss and Benioff either get Confederate made as a film (which was what they originally intended), or they have a different idea, or it just doesn't attract the criticism it did, then maybe Underground Airlines gets made as a television show.
  16. S

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Introduction

It's not just confusing for audiences, but armies too: Though presumably William did not then say, "You know what chaps, I can see how it's confusing. Let's all take our helmets off so we can identify each other." He probably said it in Norman French for a start.
  17. S

Early Tudor succession crisis

I was thinking back on one of my favourite timelines, Now Blooms the Tudor Rose (by @Space Oddity) and then got onto the frailty of the House of Tudor - despite Henry VII producing three sons, the House was extinct by 1603. And the War of the Roses had severely pruned the Houses of York and...
  18. S

A Breton island, GD? Don't make me sick.
  19. S

A thread made for us:
  20. S

David Frum did not need two hands to write this.