• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. V

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 13: First Frontier, Dark Mirror, Imzadi, and Q-Squared

I’m kind of bummed you didn’t like Dark Mirror more, although I admit a lot of my fondness for it is based on how the golden age of sci-fi is 15. Nice set of reviews, as always. I’m tempted to pick up Q-Squared and give it a second (or maybe third?) look now.
  2. V

Alternate History General Discussion

Nicely done, @M_Kresal /kazoo
  3. V

Alternate History in Star Trek part 12: TNG Spinoffs of the Later Run

Very nice overview, as always. I re-read Vendetta a couple years ago, and thought it held up pretty well. I'm really looking forward to what you think of Dark Mirror, possibly my favorite ST novel.
  4. V

I don't blame you. It's easy (and usually lazy) to get caught up in the superficial nuts and bolts of a Victorious Reich - tanks and Welthauptstadt Germania and Breitspurbahn. As someone who's written a few works in that kind of timeline, I tried to dig deeper and explore the uglier aspects of...
  5. V

I think mostly 'easy way to distinguish TTL from OTL'. Clearly, airplanes are superior to airships, but if you want a simple distinction, it's hard to top zeppelins bombing the foundries of northeast France.
  6. V

I finished Ships of Plan Z and also The Second Great War (a world where WWI ends in 1916 when President Wilson somehow gets everyone to agree to a peace treaty they all hate). Dear friends, I want to tell you the latter book is the more interesting one, because we're all probably bored with WW2...
  7. V

A few weeks ago, a non-AH friend I happened to subject to "Making up fictional naval and military orders of battle is my new mini-hobby" rambling suggested the works of Avalanche Press. I got a handful based on either Plan Z or a "WW2" centered around a surviving German Empire, and finished the...
  8. V

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 8: Early TNG Comics and Novels

Another great article. I remember some of these books. Is Strike Zone the one where they manage to make Wesley even more annoying by giving him the nickname Orange Crush? Q-in-Law was a lot of fun, as I recall. You're right, it's a shame Q and Lwaxana never met on the show. Just imagine how...
  9. V

Also, when does Patrick Stewart leap into battle with a dog in his arms?
  10. V

Least favorite alt-history story?

I'm sure no other countries would have filled the void here, either. Look around. Nobody else was doing an imperialism back then, and nobody wanted to.
  11. V

D-Day 1945 speculation

I don't know what put the idea in my brain, but it's been bouncing around inside there for the last half hour or so. 1) How do we contrive a situation where the Western Allies hold off on invading NW Europe until 1945? Do the Germans do better in the East (say the Sixth Army manages to extract...
  12. V

New moderators

Belated congratulations to the new mods (/kazoo), and thank you for your work @Redolegna
  13. V

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Played by Dakota Fanning?
  14. V

A sinister green-skinned Claudia Black... yes please. More proof we're in the darkest timeline here.
  15. V

Alternate History in Star Trek, Part 2: The Original Series

Dark Mirror, by Diane Duane, is 1) decidedly non-canon now but 2) actually good, fwiw.
  16. V

When I was 9, I was taping firecrackers to GI Joe action figures, so I think your younger self was doing fairly well.
  17. V

Prequel Problems: Rogue One

Dooku telling Palpatine to piss off and still going on to lead the Separatists is my favorite Star Wars WI.
  18. V

Prequel Problems: Rogue One

IIRC, the Essential Guide to Warfare spent a good bit of word count on that continuity between CIS hold-outs and early Rebels. I think there was a difference of opinion on grand strategy among the Rebels, too - try to take and hold territory, Separatist style, or adopt guerilla hit and run...
  19. V

Realistically, probably quite a few, but where's the fun in that?
  20. V

Random idea... You've got an aircraft carrier! And you've got an aircraft carrier! And you... aka TLs where aircraft carriers are more widespread. Examples: The Republic of Vietnam builds one part as a white elephant/prestige project, part as a power projection element in the contested South...