• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

Lesser-Known Near-Deaths and Near-Misses

A drunk dude accidentally broke into Justin Trudeau’s house in 2014 because the door had been left unlocked and he mistook it for a friend’s house. The guy thought about stealing a bunch of kitchen knives before deciding against it, writing a note to say they should lock their doors, and...
  2. T

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Around 2002/2003 there was a pretty widespread belief that Tom Daschle was going to run for President. It made sense – there was no obvious Democratic front-runner, he had the name recognition and fundraising skills to do well, and being from South Dakota would have given him an immediate...
  3. T

Alternate Supreme Courts Thread

Hatch was really reluctant to retire IOTL, even once it became clear that just about every establishment Republican wanted him to step aside in favour of Romney - wonder if there might be a similar dynamic here. I imagine he’d still retire, if only to make sure a Republican replaces him, but if...
  4. T

"Hipster" Politicians Thread

Quebec Premier Jean Lesage, who led the province during the Quiet Revolution of the 1960s, doesn't get enough attention, especially since he was Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson's preferred successor before unexpectedly losing re-election in 1966. But this post isn't about him - it's about...
  5. T

Relatedly, Ed Brown - father of Patrick, the current Conservative leadership candidate and Mayor of Brampton - also ran for the NDP, losing in 1979 and 1980 in the then-safe Liberal seat of Davenport. Say Ed runs in a neighboring riding instead, or the larger political landscape of the 1980s is...
  6. T

Halyna Chomiak, a lawyer and activist, nearly won Edmonton Strathcona for the NDP in 1988, and would later help draft the Ukrainian constitution. More interesting, though, is the fact that she’s the mum of current Deputy PM Chrystia Freeland. Say her political career goes in a slightly different...
  7. T

André Parizeau, nephew of former Quebec PQ Premier Jacques Parizeau, ran provincially for Quebec solidaire and federally for the Bloc Quebecois. More entertainingly, he was also the leader of the Parti communiste du Québec for a few years - that alone makes it seem like he ought to be used more...
  8. T

Alternate Wikibox Thread

A simpler world. Did Trump not run or did he flame out in the fall like most people initially expected?
  9. T

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Presented without context:
  10. T

CanadianTory's Test Thread

Great stuff! My one nitpick is Trump managing to get a better deal with NBC - by the time of the POD he’d already been fired - but I don’t see that changing anything, I don’t imagine he’d run again after flaming out in 2016.
  11. T

Alternate Wikibox Thread

12. T

Very curious to see where the party goes in a scenario where Bernie sits out and, say, Jim Webb becomes the most credible anti-Clinton candidate.
  13. T

Eh, by like 2013/2014 he was far more critical of the Clinton’s than most other Democrats at the time. Got the sense that there was no love lost. I may have, though it doesn’t ring a bell - I know I made a few infoboxes with him winning in 2016 as the Democratic version of Trump though.
  14. T

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Made these for a list I did over here:
  15. T

A Kinder, Gentler Nation: An American Politics TL

The Republicans running a Clark/Warren is both plausible and hilarious, you love to see it.
  16. T

A Kinder, Gentler Nation: An American Politics TL

Good stuff as always, glad you're continuing it here.